L134 Peckoltia Compta

jvision

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have eggs! I am just going to keep them with the male. Hopefully he doesn't kick any out. I have the tank wrapped in a black garbage bag so people coming and going didn't startle them for the past month or so, so if he kickes them out, I won' see them.

Nice ! If the L- 134's are the only fish in the tank you can leave the babies in there with the adults. My Hypancistrus lay eggs quite often but they never seem to hatch.

wont make a difference if there's a garbage bag over the tank or not.

Congrats on the eggs tho!

The reason for the bag is to cover the tank as the laundry room is a busy place, 50 times a day someone comes in or out, startling the tank, turning the lights off and on, so I bagged it. Lol

I have been peeking quite a bit, it's hard to see in past the male, I made the caves and they are tight, are he's packed in there pretty tight

The female is pretty beat up from the ordeal, her right side is rubbed raw from the spawning. So nothing really exciting yet.

I have been peeking quite a bit, it's hard to see in past the male, I made the caves and they are tight, are he's packed in there pretty tight

The female is pretty beat up from the ordeal, her right side is rubbed raw from the spawning. So nothing really exciting yet.

Jay just a word of caution as I've seen this before. If the female is getting beat up pretty badly she may just decide it is not worth it and refuse to lay eggs again or at least be very reluctant to do so in the future. Not much you can do if it is the male and his inexperience except hope he gets better at it over time. If the cave is indeed too tight you might want to try one just a little bigger and see how that goes.

As far as the female who got beat up you might want to keep an eye on her as sometimes the other fish will pick on a wounded one and make things even worse. Maybe moving her to a quarantine tank and medicating the injury if it looks that bad.

Congrats again on the spawn by the way and hope you have many more in the future.

Disaster has struck. The wrapper is off by the way. New inexperienced dad kicked out the eggs, all I found were 3 and threw them in a breeding net. Frick! Oh well, back to daily water changes with RO water. So much work. I simulated a dry season before, so as soon as I started the wet season, boom, they got busy.

I pulled the female yesterday. He beat her up so bad her black and yellow stripes are gone on the right rear corner panel. Tempted to pull that male and let another male have a go, as he has the best location etc. I need to make some new caves, looks like I am off to get some pipe tomorrow from my old work. I'll make these ones 1/4 inch bigger, see if the females like them. If they work I will post how I make them out of electrical conduit.