Looking for fry - Lake Tanganyika

Mbuna Ron

I have a 33 gallon waiting for some fry to rear. I thought I would try a species from Lake Tanganyika. Does anyone have any to sell? I am open to suggestions!

Edited by Mbuna Ron

OK- I'll be more specific

I was hoping for cyps....cyprichromis leptosoma would be ideal. Maybe 2-3 leleupi, synodontis petricola, tanganicodos irsacae?, Julidochromis ornatus are some suggestions I've read about for a small aquarium

Edited by Mbuna Ron

Cyps...even the nnn-jumbo varieties really need a 4 foot tank to be happy.

In a 33 gallon tank you could go with a trio of Calvus / comps as well as either a julie species or a smaller neo-lamp speies, so the 2-3 leleupi would work and you could get about 5 S. petricola in there which would make for a really nice tank. Now if you had a 4 foot 48 gallon tank or so you could also add 8-10 cyps leptosoma (not jumbo).

Heres a link to Cichlid-forum cookie cutter set-ups:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/quic...erence_list.php

I hope that helps a little

Thanks Rahim. I went over to Golds and checked with Dennis. I picked up 4 julidochromis ornatus and 4 neolamprologus pulcher (daffodil) juvi's. I also have a bristlenose in the tank....lots of shale caves. It is now an interesting tank. ...could I put in 2-3 leleupi as well?

Ron

I assume the daffodils at Golds are not ready to sex yet as I assume you bought 4 to see how they pair off, gee so many assumptions, I have been waiting for his pulchers to get big enough. I think unless you have lots of caves you will have to sell the odd ones out, because when they mate, they can have homicidal tendencies to former "tank Buddies". :)

I'll watch for that. I've built a three foot stretch of shale caves. With so many spots is it possible that the non-paired fish don't have to be removed? ... :wacko: and is removal temporary or a permanent banishment?

If removed, the move would be permanent.

I'll give you an example.

I 60 gallon long tank (4' long X 18 wide) that I had 6 N. buescheri in. In an 60 gallon tank, I now have a mated pair and a lone females that is allowed to live in the upper most corner of the tank.

In the case of pulchers, you are looking at a VERY similar case, where only one male will dominate the tank and have one favorite female and MAYBE allow a second one to reside in the tank.

Just out of curiosity, how many tanks do you have? :o Is there any point to building such a vast network of caves then?

I curently have 3 tanks all lake tanganyika species.

Yes there is a point to building vast network of caves as this is where you will the true behavior of you new fish.

I'm not sure if you have kept any tangs before, but all have very unique personalities and character traits that you will soon see.

For example...the julies have a very cool way of swimming upside down when they are in their caves as well as they breed this way!!!!!

I am moving this thread out of the Buy / Sell section and into the "African cichlids" section so that others can comment on it!!!!!

Wow! That is amazing. I have been watching the 4 julie's and 4 daffodil's in this tank and they already are sorting out territory. They are demonstrating more "personality" than most of my fish and are very interesting to observe. Have yours bred yet? What are you feeding them (NLS Growth)?