Hello Everyone!

Gillyan

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to take a moment and tell you a little about myself. I am a stay at home mom. I have been in the hobby for a little over 3 years-started out out with guppies when my son was a baby to stimulate his eyes and learning-( their vibrant colours and rapid movements!!!) It turned out to be so rewarding for his development and calm anxieties that it progressed, now he's 3 and he helps me with the fishes' care and feeding and it has helped me teach him about empathy, nature, animals and science. My youngest is starting the famous "terrible twos" and is just as fascinated with the hobby as my oldest, he is full of energy but there are moments that he unhappy with the world and will just sit in front of a tank and listen to the water and watch and become calm. I have 3 tanks currently and two quarantine tanks with a fancy-tail goldfish in one- a rescue from a pet store(the poor little fish had been mistakenly put in with comets and they bullied him pretty bad so he is now healing and hopefully will make it!) and two juvenile bristle nose in the other. My passion is the bristlenose's, my husband has a love of goldfish and my boys love all animals but especially their guppies. I keep two full grown Ryukin goldfish with bristlenose in the largest tank - although the two species are from different continents they live very happily together, a very Canadian lifestyle !!! The goldies are so messy and make an environment in which algae thrives- so the bristlenoses live as happy as can be cleaning the tank and they have even spawned twice in with them! In the guppy tank I have several fancy types and some Otocinclus, again a happy environment! Since the guppies are so prolific I give away fry and adults to friends and family and a few have become fish enthusiasts, as well!

Welcome to the site! I'm a stay at home mom too!...well for now. I'm going to get my first real job soon. It's kinda scary, but it'll be fun to get out more and make some money on my own. I just got my license yesterday too. That's amazing that the tanks have helped calm your kids. My daughter has a terrible temper, just like her mommy lol She'll run off to her room and calm down there. She likes the guppies too, and orange fish...every orange fish I get is automatically named Nemo lol I'm going to be buying Nemo #3 soon too. It's great what having animals can teach your kids. I know I could never live in a house without animals. It just doesn't feel right if I'm not surrounded by them.