Increasing The Light

troni

Troni, let'simplify this. Growing plants is like riding a bike. You learn as you go and it gets easier. First off, replacing your bulbs and cleaning your glass in your lid will make a difference. Also you might want to look at your substrate too. Then look at a different light fixture and CO2. As for ferts, there are those of us who are technical and people like me who can't follow ikea instructions..... and neither groups are wrong. I use a basic fert once a week and then whatever I feel like another time during the week.For my tanks with heavy root feeders, I also use root tabs. EI dosing is waaay over my head!! So try to take it slow so you can get hooked on planted tanks.....

ei dosing doesnt require 50% water changes. You can adjust your dosing according to what your goals are. The idea of ei is to supply ferts at a level higher then the plants intake. You can use ei with or without co2. weekly water changes to never changing water. I can walk you through whatever you decide. Just pick up the following fertilizer.

kno3, kh2po4, and a trace mix. All can be purchased at a local hydroponic store. Some one in Calgary can point you to a place where these can be purchased.

Edited by ubr0ke

I really can't understand why you would want more light... I have a 20G and even when i had only one T8 bulb I was trimming like mad. I didn't try a carpet with that bulb...

I briefly had 2 compact fluorescents (dif hood) and found algae grew too easy for the CO2 and ferts I put in.

Now I have one T5 (still trimming away madly)... and it grows everything I've tried nicely.. Setting up a "carpet plant" this weekend and I expect it to do well. Have always changed min 50% water a week that helps.

I would definitely look into CO2 and a good fert dosing schedule before adding more light in your case.

-my experience hope it helps

Edited by Sierra

redfronttankshotOct4th.jpg

topoftankpretrimoct4th.jpg

Can anyone tell me the name of the red plant in the center and the "orange" plant behind it. I love the orange color on that one.