Help With Lighting And Plant Selection

vchriste

Hi everyone,

. I need a bit of help with some lighting and beginner plant suggestions.

This isn't my first time with a plants tank, last year I turned my Edge into a planted tank. I used co2, the stock halogen lights and a life-glo CF. I had pretty good success for about six months, then the tank got put on the back burner and fell apart. The only thing that was left was the Anubis and java moss.

I have started fresh, though I kept the Anubis and moss in my new tank. Currently I have a 15 gallon tank. Fluorite substrate, co2 and a stock full spectrum (came with the hood) 18" t5 fluorescent bulb.

First off, I would like a suggestion for a "beginners" carpeting plant and some help with finding a suitable light. I'm doing this on a budget, so any help is appreciated. Like I said, I'm a beginner (I know a bit of the basics....but I am slowly learning though mistakes lol!)

Thanks in advance.

Vanessa

Lighting I'd go with a sunblaster T5HO fixture, a 24" fixture which should be the same length as the tank will set you back $30 or so. For carpeting plants I think you could do either dwarf baby tears or dwarf hairgrass with this lighting, but somebody else will have better knowledge on that part.

With your current light, you could easily grow Pygmy chain sword. You could add ferts daily or weekly or anything in between.

. How do you encourage it to carpet?

it shoots out runners all around it,its does a good job of carpeting itself.

but if you want a fuller carpet,then once the runners get big cut them from the mother plant and replant them......then they will shoot out runners everwhere

keep repeating the process

PCS just grows in in a carpet, you don't have to encourage it. Sometimes it'll shoot a runner out quite a ways, but eventually it all fills in. I'm not sure where to get it. I imagine there's lots of it around b/c I was selling tonnes of it when I had it. Otherwise, I'd say check Nature's Corner or Aquarium Central - IMO, NC has the best plant quality and selection.

Couple of quick questions, where can I get a sublaster light fixture (im in Edmonton)?

I saw Sunblaster at All Seasons just off Whyte Ave (perhaps it's a usual suspect at hydroponic stores).

Lee Valley (184St & 104Ave) also sells a similar product http://www.leevalley...298&cat=2,44716

Options abound.

Edited by Fisher