Diy Co2 Recipe?

nanmer

I have been reading all I can about DIY co2 recipes. There is many out there. Can anyone share one that has worked well for them? I have used the basic one - sugar, yeast, water. I find I don't get much life out of a bottle. Some recipes suggest a buffer, molasses, etc. I would really like something that lasts more than 4-5 days.

I use a 4l jug, 3-4 cups sugar, 1 tsp yeast and fill to about 3-4" from the top with warm water. It last about 2 1/2-3 weeks before starting to weaken.

I've used brewers yeast and regular bread yeast. Both work well. The brewers yeast gives a little bit longer but for the extra cost its not really worth it to me. Now I just use regular cheap bread yeast.

If yours is only lasting a few days your yeast might not be working(old/dead) or your bottle might be getting too cold to produce. My bottles weren't producing and it was because they were getting too cold in the basement where my tanks are. Now I keep the yeast bottle on or close to my light fixture. It helps warm the bottle and keep the co2 flowing.

I did 2 cups of sugar

1 tsp of baking soda

and 1/2 tsp of breadyeast

filled the bottle with sugar and shook it till all the sugar Had dissolved. adeed baking soda.

Been producing a bubble every 1-2 seconds a week now

Edited by bero

Is champagne yeast similar to wine yeast? Because I was using yeast for making wine, I just walways called it brewers yeast since thats what I assumed brewers yeast was :blush: Or is champagne yeast a different strain that even better at higher alcohol levels?

Either way, experiment with your bottles.Try different yeasts, different temps, and different amounts of sugar. For me, using yeast for making wine, didn't give enough of a difference. All I got was amybe an extra week out of the bottles, not the 9-10weeks they are talking about in that thread.

brewers yeast is typically used for making beer. Champagne yeast can be used for wine. Its more tolerant of alcohol and lower temperature. It could be possible, you were using champagne yeast. In my experience tho, champagne yeast worked quite a bit better. It was far more consistent. I used only half a teaspoon of yeast and 3 cups of sugar.

I think the 9-10 weeks is a stretch but my mix lasted over a month. With bakers yeast I found after 7-8 days the level would drop considerably.

Edited by ubr0ke