Best Place For Plants Nowadays?

mrsailboats

• 2 months later...

- there are probably a few people around that could get you more than enough of what you want and need.

, I've checked this thread and PMed people who have posted.

There was a day when plants were 50¢ a stem... .

I agree private is your best bet.

50¢ a stem? Oh my, I hope the price has gone down.

That is a full sized Glad garbage bag. Sometimes I can give it away - usually it gets composted.

th_P1150271.jpg

That is a full sized Glad garbage bag. Sometimes I can give it away - usually it gets composted.

... sick! That reminds me of those kijiji ads that say "sold" -05-

Edited by Fisher

• 2 weeks later...

I recieved my order from http://theplantguy.org/ The plants were healthy, in perfect condition and I am very happy with how they look in my tank. Shipping was quick, and I recieved free shipping becasue I spent over $50. I'm very pleased!

Edited by Becky

Aqua flora in BC. Stocked my whole 165 with them and a smaller order from aquarium central. Cost me $340 for the 165 pretty dense. You get more than you expect from aqua flora and there no algae, etc. You could pack full a 40 breeder for well under $200.

The thing about plants like rotala rundifolia and watersprite is they are truly weeds and sell for the price of weeds. Something like potostemon stellata will actually fetch a buck a stem as most people can't grow it. There are hundreds of varieties worth money. You can get very few (especially healthy) of them locally.

came across this link via my stat counter so I thought I'd pipe in....

1. fishclubgirl is great and has lots of plants in your area. I've dealt with her a few times over the last few years...Buy from her if she has the stuff you need...

2. Aquaflora has amazing plants. Tissue cultured in a nice big tub...the only caveat is they cost about $15 per species. I bought some from my local Petland in Winnipeg about a year ago to try it out, was very impressed...Lots of plants per species but unless you're planting a big tank or not confident in your abilty to reproduce plants, I'm not sure it's worth it ( I don't need 25 crypt plants of the same variety_) .....Haven't seen those plants in Winnipeg since then... I enquired about a wholesale account but was told to go through their distributor in Calgary. After shipping etc, not worth it...Found a wholesaler in the states and a broker and will be doing it that way from now on, much cheaper at the end of the day....but I do wish we had access to them! I think the biggest problem was they were selling high end , high demand plants in Petland, that doesn't work from so many perspectives.

You can get very few (especially healthy) of them locally.

Cough, cough, clears throat....

Well come on, you have tons of variety, but only a few stems of each to sell each week. Good if you just want something to grow out, but if you are starting a new tank it's hardly enough. Who else has what you have in their collection?

You can get very few (especially healthy) of them locally.

Cough, cough, clears throat....

Well come on, you have tons of variety, but only a few stems of each to sell each week. Good if you just want something to grow out, but if you are starting a new tank it's hardly enough. Who else has what you have in their collection?

And if they have something I don't have(or have killed), I want it!!!!! My "collectoritis" is kicking in...... Need more plants, plants, plants.........

• 2 weeks later...

Aqua flora is 10/10

I wrote this before I saw everyone else already posted saying aqua flora heh heh :blush:

"I've bought plants from all over and finally had success from a nursery that my local pet store was able to source from. Here is the website of the nursery: http://aquafloranurseries.com/

If you can I would highly recommend any plants from here, well worth the price!! Most pet stores should be able to source from them.

Read this section to get their pitch on how and why they grow their plants the way they do:

http://www.aquafloranurseries.com/about_us.php

Key benefits that sold me on it were:

• Plants are completely free of disease-causing bacteria and fungi, as well as snails, nematodes, and other pests, ensuring the highest standards of health.
  • Uniformity of plant size and quality is assured.
  • All species of plants are available year round.
  • Our plants will not melt.
  • Using micropropagation, we produce a wide range of species, and so none of our plants are wild-collected "