Best Place For Plants Nowadays?

mrsailboats

Getting ready to have a fresh start on a planted 40. Been looking at different options (since I'm on a budget) of getting plants from online/LFS or trims from other members.

I'd like to have at least 75% of my plants at once for the startup but I'm running into some issues. Online looks like it seems to be a hastle, most places ship from the U.S and I don't really want to deal with that. LFS would be about 150-200 dollars (at least if I am comparing from something like Big Al's which has an average price of maybe $20 per plant?) and that is waaay over what I really want to spend. And trimmings from other members would be great but I'm not sure if anyone would have enough for a startup and I probably wouldn't have much choice on the variety. Also I've always had troubles keeping the trimmings down(not floating), but maybe more experienced members have some insight on that.

For members who have recently started new tanks how did you begin? If you have average prices maybe on how much you spent and from where and could pm me that, that would be appreciated.

I welcome all questions and am looking for a discussion on the best methods for the Edmonton region. Thank you.

Nature's Corner is probably the best bet for LFS - their prices are very fair and plant quality is the best in the city, IMO. I don't have much these days, but when I had my tanks going, I could easily get someone enough to start a 20-30gal w. about 75% coverage - there are probably a few people around that could get you more than enough of what you want and need.

1. Nature's Corner (they have single and multiple prices. If you are purchasing a large amount, you can talk to them about a special price and offer cash as payment as it saves them on merchant fees)

2. Aquarium Central

As for weighing down I use weights/small rocks and pebbles/black thread for driftwood and rocks.

Edited by grunt031

The time I dropped by nature's corner, they didn't have very much stock or variety.

Is that just because they were running low and normally carry a lot?

Aquarium Central has been my favorite lfs since discovering it and I find they tend to have a good variety... they just got a shipment of plants in last week actually.

The time I dropped by nature's corner, they didn't have very much stock or variety.

Is that just because they were running low and normally carry a lot?

Aquarium Central has been my favorite lfs since discovering it and I find they tend to have a good variety... they just got a shipment of plants in last week actually.

For plants you usually have to go right after a shipment as they go quickly.

Or if can hold off until March 18th, it's the Aquarium Club of Edmonton's spring auction. There will be lots of plants(and fish) grown in Edmonton(or maybe Calgary) water and lots of other items too. It's a great day.....

Thanks guys, I actually had never even heard of aquarium central or Nature's Corner. Having a discount on multiple purchases is definately what I was looking for.

Or if can hold off until March 18th, it's the Aquarium Club of Edmonton's spring auction. There will be lots of plants(and fish) grown in Edmonton(or maybe Calgary) water and lots of other items too. It's a great day.....

As for this is there a membership or anything required to attend/purchase at the spring auction? Where abouts is that held?

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to sound like a newbie, but PJ's in WEM usually has nice fresh buckets of plants every time I've been and if you talk to the older hippy looking guy he is pretty good about bringing things in.

Natures corner is good but the last few times I went they had low stock and it looked a tiny bit brown. AC usually has some real choice stuff and is fast becoming my store of choice.

Edited by blink

I agree about Pj's the hydro grown plants in the bucket are a good price for what you get, they guarantee no snails, its about 12 bucks with the GST for the hyrdo bucket plants. but I don't care about snails, my pea puffers take care of them.

I started out with buying plants from Petsmart, they have good deals, the mondo grass, which now I know was on that list on a topic in this forum of plants to not buy haha, but it was $1.50 per plant. Pretty much the day I bought a whack load, I payed just over 20 bucks for 8 plants, which was a good deal to me at least