Substrates

herpetology!

Hey, just wanting some info. I have been running this tank for a year and a half with pebble sized substrate. It has been planted on and off, with hyacinths making a big mess during the summer. It is very understocked, always has been, but no matter how much I try to clean up the gravel a cloud of brown tends to come up. Is it normal for a mature substrate to look like this? Its so nutrient starved that my plants had trouble growing for many months, so I am confused as to what is going on.

It is fed a pinch of flake food daily with a dump of 2 blood worm cubes 2 times per week (for newts) as well as the rare feeder, but there hasn't been many in the last few months.

I don't think it's really a problem, it's just kinda weird and I've never had a tank that was regularly cleaned like this have this brown cloud effect.

I find the pebble size gravel tends to do this. Food and waste gets in between the gravel and it gets stired up when you gravel vac. I'd suggest you switch to sand, it is much easier to clean as the waste sits on top and is easily vacuumed out.

Sand actually is something the newts would swallow, so it's a concern. I actually do have some driftwood in there and have some ammonite chunks that are kind of weathering down, but it does seem a bit excessive on the brown cloudness. I had hornwort in there as well. I don't think it's a chemically bad brownness, and man do my plants need any kind of nutrients they can get, I was just wondering if other people have had that kind of soily look to substrate after this long.

It's something I'd like to mitigate a bit without doing gravel vacuums as i don't wanna move stuff around too much- the cichlids are paired!

Edited by herpetology!

Add a nice big canister filter (rated for 2x the size of your tank) - it will suck up a lot of the waste.

Not really, IMO. I mean over time it can build up and cause problems if you just leave it; but, since you're vacuuming it up when you do WCs, you should be fine.