New To Canister Filters, How To Set Up Layers?

noot

Hello to everyone. I am new to this site and see there is an abundance of advise and information to help me out. I just got a great deal on a new 95 gal bowfront aquarium and it came with a Fluval FX5 canister filter. I own a 50 gal. already but only have an undergravel system with a aqua clear filter, so the canister is very new to me. There are three baskets that each have a foam outer layer but I am not sure how or what to put on each layer. I want to set the aquarium up as a community tank, with lots of different fish. If anyone can help me with how to set up this filter, that would be great.

Thanks

Noot

Here are a few canister/HOB options in this thread

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=30820

If you don't have an FX5 manual, you download one and look at the "Fluval Media Options" and their descriptions (maybe that's what prompted your question) ^_^

I'm sure people will be chiming in soon... as soon as they get their snow shovelled. :shock:

I am currently using the FX5 sponges around the outside and scubbies packed in the middle of every tray. If I ever get another one that I can work on while my current one is stilll running, I am going to try this Mod

personally i use the foams on the outside like stock config but put bio balls and rings in the bottom 2 trays then filter floss in the top basket instead of their proprietary flossing pad which is a lot more money

• 3 weeks later...