Fluval Spec

lilwolfe

Hi, I'm looking at setting up a small fish tank for my daughter as her reward for getting completely potty trained. It can't be big because she doesn't have lots of room in her room. I was thinking about the Fluval spec, and she really wants shrimp (she doesn't find anything creepy or gross) with maybe a few little endler guppies. What are people's thoughts on this, and has anyone had one of the Fluval SPECs before?

I ended up just getting one of those Fluval Edge 6 gal tanks. It's small but can still have more than one or two fish. IMO, the Spec's light is poor as well as filter. I've seen them running at the local Petlands and was unimpressed. Before you invest suggest to take a look yourself in person. Bigals, Pisces, Petland's will have some of those smaller nano type tanks running for you to get a better idea. :)

Edited by ckmullin

Ya, I've been meaning to check out calgary. I'm in Blackfalds, and the petland here doesn't have one set up running. I might just do plain jane five gallon for her too. she doesn't care what the tank looks like, she just informed me that it has to have "lobsters" which i told her were shrimp.

we were looking at cherry shrimp.... she insisted they were baby lobsters.

I love shrimp, so it'll be nice to have a shrimp tank.

My son and I, our next project is a CRS tank... see how it goes with that. He likes the candy cane look to those guys!

Cherry shrimp and endlers are sturdy. I had them for a long time in a little 10 gallon planted tank, with a small heater and air bubbles. There was no filter but I dropped in the substrate some biomax media and the liquid from it near the air bubbles. A small coral life lamp did a great job keeping my plants healthy :) plus 2 times a week 25% water changes. It was a cute little tank, but when I got my 230 gallon for discus, I transferred all the fish and shrimp in there.