What Happened To My Ramshorn?

epiphany

Hey, so while feeding my shrimps today I found my ramshorn snail shell laying empty on its side in the gravel. I've had the snail since october when it came as a hitchiker on one of my plants. The tank is a 10 gallon with cherry shrimp, orange shrimp and amano shrimp with celestial pearl danios and golden white cloud mountain minnows, penguin 100 filter and no heater. Moderately planted with the odd dose of flourish. Nothing has changed in this tank in months and it was crawling around my tank last night before I went to sleep. What might cause something like this? Here's a picture of the shell. http://i.imgur.com/Mtu4a.jpg Thanks

If it died, the shrimp will pick it clean in no time. They may have even 'helped' the process along a bit.

"The natural lifespan of a ramshorn snail is anywhere from 1 to 2 years depending on living conditions. How do you know if your ramshorn snail is dead? Sometimes it can be hard to tell is your snails are just resting, sick, or have passed away. You can check to see if they are still with you by smelling them. If there is a foul odor coming out of their shell hen you will know they are deceased. You should do this regularly because any dead animal in a tank will start to make the tank toxic."

:cry: I also noticed some empty ramshorn shells this morning while feeding my fish.

LOL me too, but then again, the tank in question has assassin snails & red claw macro shrimp both of which love to dine on ramshorn snails ;)

Tigs