New 90G Journal

jeremoose

Hello all, I was in Edmonton yesterday and came across a deal I couldn't refuse. Here's the newest addition to my tank family:

firstdayc.jpg

It's going to be stocked with 4 female Convicts (possibly adding a male), a Jack Dempsey (alpha of the tank), a fairly large Firemouth, a Sun Cat, and a Common Pleco. A little overstocked? Yes. But it's going to be over-filtered as well :P

I threw a little HOB filter on top to help clear the water, there's sand particles everywhere. That will have to do until my large canister filter gets here later in the week. Will post more pictures when items start to arrive and when the water starts to clear.

You put a male with them convict and you will have a scared Alfa ! Lol . I had 1 female 1 male in a tank with an Oscar and a large clown knife , needless to say they raised havok .

Blake

A pair of Convicts will even take over a 90g?! Oh boy, maybe I'll rethink the stocking then.. lol

At work, we have a 125 with 4 adult oscars and a JD. We added a pair of convicts to add some feeders, but the parents were too diligent and now we have about 40 1" convicts and a new generation on the way - they're quick!

At work, we have a 125 with 4 adult oscars and a JD. We added a pair of convicts to add some feeders, but the parents were too diligent and now we have about 40 1" convicts and a new generation on the way - they're quick!

Hah! That's awesome! I'm really second-guessing adding a male now.. But I really want my wife to see how good of parents Cichlids can be, I just hope the other fish can keep the population under control. From what I read that isn't likely but I have my fingers crossed. I'll likely go with a pink male just for something different.

• 2 weeks later...

Filter is finally in!

90gfilter1.jpg

90gfilter2.jpg

I went with the Odyssea CFS 500. Everyone said not to try their lights since they're so cheap but I tried them anyways and they're fantastic so I thought I'd try their filter as well. The flow on this thing is ridiculous! Quick and easy setup as well.

Now my only complaint with the filter is that the hoses provided are quite short.. This didn't allow for very good placement of the intake and outtake. They can be apart MAX by about 12 inches. I already have a powerhead in the tank so here's a REALLY rough diagram of how I have it setup.. Do you think I'm getting circular flow in the tank? I was hoping that by my position of things that I wouldn't have dead spots but who knows.

tankflow.jpg

The yellow thing is the intake, the green thing is the outflow, the red thing is the heater, the blue thing is the powerhead. I included arrows with corresponding colors for which direction they are directing the water. I guess the question is, will I have a dead spot in the bottom left-hand side of the diagram?

Got it half-scaped.. Have to remove that cave from the left side, so out of place. Going to do that heavy wood and fake plants all the way across. Here's my horribad blurry picture:

blurrygarbage.jpg

Edited by jeremoose

Think about using 3/4" PVC to plumb your filter - if you do a search for FX5 Mod, you should find a link to a site that has a number of mods to do to the filter to make it work the way you want.

Think about using 3/4" PVC to plumb your filter - if you do a search for FX5 Mod, you should find a link to a site that has a number of mods to do to the filter to make it work the way you want.

Okay thanks for your help!