Cherry Shrimp Breeding?

creekbottom

I bought a few (15) cherry shrimp a while back, maybe 6-8 weeks ago or more, and have them in a 10g planted. Pretty sure they love it. Not long after having them I noticed little specks flying around the tank, obviously babies or so I was hoping. The stupid thing I did was add fish, it's a fish tank thats what you do, right? Ember tetras, no way they are going to snack on cherry shrimp. However, I added them all at once and the corresponding ammonia spike or whatever (I wasn't testing at the time) killed ALOT of shrimp. All the babies and most of the adults. I have about 5 left. Pretty sure both sexes as some are large and red and some are small and not so red.

They don't seem to be breeding anymore. I keep looking for one of those large red ones to have yellow berries in her swimmers but nope, nothing.

All the water parameters are good (I'm testing now), there is a sponge on the filter intake, as far as I know everything should be shrimp heaven.

any suggestions? other than getting more shrimp.

Just keep up the WCs. When I had a huge farm going on, I was doing 50% weekly WCs and population growth was awesome.

I suspect the tetras would love to snack on small shrimp and may harrass adults as well. If you want a nice fish to mix w. Cherry Shrimp, I have had some great success w. Endlers.

Exactly what Jvision said. Cherry's breed like guppies, they just need clean water. Don't overfeed, keep up the water changes, leave the fish out of it until you have a healthy breeding colony. I use Neon Tetra's with my Cherry's and Tiger Shrimp (kind-of lame I know). Good luck and let's see some pictures!