30 Gallon Long New Project

Mko

Hey everyone. It's been another long break between posting due to school and work. A new project has come up since my friend Tom has donated his 30 gallon long tank to me.

Originally I had thought about making a pure iwagumi layout (already have the stones) but with the 30 gallon he also included all his plants. One plant that caught my eye was his bunch of Java Fern. His bundle of java fern is in really good shape and looks really sharp. So sharp that it has made me re think a layout and now im stuck and trying to decide between a panoramic iwagumi layout in a 30 gallon long or... a jungle-like java fern layout with the rocks I already have acting as a base with driftwood and moss working with the scape.

30 Gallon Tank (long)

-T5HO lighting (double bulb)

-Pressurized Co2

-Fluorite substrate (sand/and normal)

-Hydor Inline Heater

-Filters (I have these and must decide among them) :

Eheim Ecco Classic

Eheim 2215

Eheim Ecco Pro 3

Eheim 2217

Plants to choose from:

-Java fern Narrow

-Anubias nana petite

-Anubias coffeefolia

-Java moss

-Spikey Moss

-Fissidens Moss

-Hydrocotyle Verticillata

-Hygrophila Pinatafida

-Eleocharis parvula

-Cryptocoryne Wendtii "Mi Oya"

I have an Algae Army that moves from tank to tank But need to decide on a main Schooling fish.

Either a slender bodied fish if going the Iwagumi way

or

A mid bodied fish if going the jungle-route

Suggestions? Please let me know I need help deciding

again its a 30 gallon Long

Panoramic Iwagumi vs. Layered Jungle Scape

FTS (newly cleaned)

IMG_2865.jpg

IMG_2864.jpg

IMG_2863.jpg

Ferns that made me doubt my Iwagumi Plans:

IMG_2866.jpg

IMG_2867.jpg

I think a back wall of Tiger Val would be awesome for a junglescape. Maybe use some black lawn edging to create a barrier to keep it growing along the back and not throughout the tank. Maybe throw your rocks spaced out along the back to make it look like mountains in the distance?

Your other plant choice looks great; maybe put the Anubias at substrate level in front of the Java fern logs to create a contrast in shape; maybe the C. wendtii behind and between 2 of the logs?

Going to be a nice looking tank!

Thanks! I'm really excited to get everything started. Do you know where I could get my hands on tiger val? I like the look but i was thinking of maybe an even thinner leafed long plant for the background still looking around though. I might use the rocks as the base of my composition and wood stretching out giving it an Island feel. Thinking of topping off the front of the tank with Sand as well.

I you can make it to the ACE Auction this weekend you'll probably find a bag or two of tiger Val, among other plants. For (much) less than $50, you'll be able to buy enough to fill that tank to the brim!!

Also, I would run the largest filter you have available. Not necessarily for filtration, but for flow.

Im not too worried about flow as I will be adding the Koralia powerhead I have to one of the sides to increase total flow =) I know how essential it is to the planted tank. I might try to make it to the auction only problem is Im busy studying for midterms so might now be able to. sucks.

I always liked those "rock cliff" tanks. Maybe like a ravine in the middle and sand in front (am I making any sense?). Maybe they're done too much hmm.

Can't wait to see what you come up with, love your other tank.

I've been researching into it more and will probably set up a tank with a scape similar to the following:

http://www.aquabotanic.com/wp-conten...k_nameless.jpg

I really like the look of the cliff edges with java fern and then sand throughout the tank

I was thinking of having a nice well colored school of Odessa barbs and maybe a corydoras species along the bottom since my tank will have that sand substrate look to it.

a nice school of these badboys (Odessa barbs):

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...86ebfb2564.jpg

and maybe a school of these guys along the bottom:

http://naturaqua.fr/PhotoPois_1/Cory...areus_F_02.jpg

"corydoras duplicareus" beautiful cory anyone know where i can get them around here? or IF I can even get them?

What do you guys think? let me know

Sand blasting suppliers would be the best choice for finding different sands; and, they could tell you if it's inert or not. I like play sand, and you could mix a white sand w it to make it light - I've mixed black sand in to make it dark.

a nice school of these badboys (Odessa barbs):

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...86ebfb2564.jpg

and maybe a school of these guys along the bottom:

http://naturaqua.fr/PhotoPois_1/Cory...areus_F_02.jpg

"corydoras duplicareus" beautiful cory anyone know where i can get them around here? or IF I can even get them?

What do you guys think? let me know

At first I was disappointed...aww not barbs THEN the picture wow those are some of the nicest I have seen.

Those cories seem familiar, I want to say I've seen them at Big Al's before but their headspots have never been that bright (pet store conditions...?).I'm not sure on this, but I think I'm going to go looking myself. Will let you know if I find anything out.

Great choices!