Spixi's & Black Mystery Snails... Same Tank?

Fin2you

Ok so thanks to a wonderful trade I now am the proud owner of multiple Spixi's & a Black Mystery Snail!

at 1st I thought I'd just house the Black Mystery in my tank & go buy another just for the spixi's but the more I thought about it the more I'd rather just have 1 tank for right now, unless it's not going to work! I don't want to accidently make someone anothers lunch! reading online I've seen conflicting info (I know shocking isn't it), some say it's the same species so they'll be fine others say 1 will eat the other.

Other tankmates are; 4 cory's & a betta (a friendly one not aggressive at all)

I've had Spixis and Apple snails in the same tank, and both laid eggs. If your tank is big enough, I don' t think there'd be a problem.

I just did a bioload calculation from (http://aqadvisor.com/articles/AqAdvisorIntro.php) & with even what I want to add (2 more julii cory's) I'd still be at 95%. The only suggestion would be if I don't want to be doing 50-60%/weekly water changes is to upgrade my filter to the next size up. B/c I just replaced my filter last week with a better quality filter I'm fine with doing 50% I've always done that LOL

I'm glad they'll be fine together!!

I have apple snails and spixis together with no problem. My only concern is for the baby apple snails. My apple snails have not reproduced in a while so I am not sure if the spixi will eat the young. I know they do enjoy snacking on ram snails.

i have spixis breeding in multiple tanks,thaey are also all in tanks with breeding groups of differnt colored apple snails.

no risk of the spixies eating apple eggs.......

the only problem you will have with having a tank with spixies and apple snails is the need for larger weekly water changes.

the reason for that is,once both types of snails start breeding they wont stop....you will eventually have hundreds of baby snails producing alot of poop and eating alot of food.

also i was talking to a couple people at the auction, spixies are only plant safe if you supplement their diet with fruits and veggies occasonally(once a week minumum is what i do)....personally i have never had a problem with them eating plants......but i have always fed fruit and veggies often

Edited by Sprucegruve

thanks so much everyone! Unfortunately due to my tank not being fully cycled the ammonia spike killed my spixi's lastnight :( I am very saddened by the loss of Slow, he was a very unique colored snail. & it was a pleasure to see him bombing around my tank & up and down my sunken submarine cave.

I am going to let my tank finish cycling & then keep an eye out for another special colored spixi.

I am very encouraged to know that I could put these guys together in my 1 tank, eventually.