How To Wet Start

Raven

I've been pondering this idea for a while, but i can't deside what direction to go. I want to improve the substrate for the plants, eventhing is under water so a dry start is outed. Currently is a sand > gravel mix naturally colored. I want to try and add soil or moss or something with out causing issues. I have top soil/potting mix, peat moss, and coco nut fiber at my fingers. Not sure if the fiberous part of the coco will do anything but rot, and according to so pinned articles the moss would do the same. I have 2 ideas to get the fine stuff in the water under gravel and hopefully without clouding everything.

One - use of current terra cotta pots. I have various sizes and with spring there's plenty more at the dollar store or micheals. They are <1 inch to 4 inch. The <1 and 2 inch I think would work best. I could put the soil in and prevent leakage via reycycled paper products ( aka eco friendly ones) that may dissolve easier that those made of newer product. The same could be applied to a couple of pots from aquarium plants, benifit to both is that plants can be inserted through the hole/slots and help prevent soil leaks themselves. Over time the pots can be shifted and soil spread under the gravel/sand. Two - Using fibric to make pouches or tubes with soil in them. Not sure what to go with... panty hose/ carbon bags/ cottny stuff?? Not 100% sure how to get the soil spread, but currently thought perforations on the top and bottom would do. Top ones could be made large enough for plants, which it made easier with baby java ferns that i've had difficulty to root on there own in the gravel.

So what do the more experenced minds think? Anything you'd change? Articles/links that point out a better direction? Am i even on the right track? hahaha. Anything is good, Thanks!

The absolute the best was would be to throw in the soil first then your gravel etc caps. That's the best way 100%.

I'd have to admit though I'm not a fan of either option. You must be very careful not to have soil closer to the top surface of the gravel as with anything that digs will always bring it up. Then depending on what is in the soil...that stuff now in the water column.

I'd really suggest if you want to put in soil and spread it around do a rebuild. imo.

Edited by ckmullin

I you want nutrients at the roots, just add some root tabs or fert spikes - adding soil while filled w water is just asking for a HUGE mess.

Take your soil or clay (you don't want much organic stuff in the soil. Just dirt) and wet it and roll it into little balls. Make a bunch and freeze them.

Push the balls into the substrate nice and deep. Repeat when nutrients run out.

I you want nutrients at the roots, just add some root tabs or fert spikes - adding soil while filled w water is just asking for a HUGE mess.

I have to agree with jason. I recently set up a dirt bowl...on the 3rd time I finally got it to "work". The soil makes the worst mess of anything I've worked with. It will be interesting to see how the plants do (it's more of an experiment for myself).

Take your soil or clay (you don't want much organic stuff in the soil. Just dirt) and wet it and roll it into little balls. Make a bunch and freeze them.

Push the balls into the substrate nice and deep. Repeat when nutrients run out.

That is very interesting...have you ever tried it yourself?? ..To me it would seem that they just melt and then eventually make a huge mess.

They melt but they are buried under the gravel or whatever you have. The freezing gives you enough time to shove it down. They make no more mess than a root tab.

I've never done it personally, but I can't see what issues there would be. That's how some people refresh their soil or mts substrates.

Maybe I'll try a bit of both. With the terra cotta pots i could layers gravel and soil maybe use coco fiber to filter it a bit. and it be easy for root to penatrate. I think i would work better then the paper idea.