Gasping/gulping Angel Fish

425nm

I have four angels in my 75 gallon planted (along with various other fishes).

From time to time they swim up to the surface and gasp or gulp. Its only the angelfish that appear to be affected, none of the other fish are doing this.

Their breathing rate appears to be otherwise normal when they're swimming around the tank. They look healthy. No stringy white poop, no behaviour abnormalities (apart from the gulping).

My ammonia and nitrite are 0. Nitrate is >50mg/L but <110mg/L. Is this possibly due to high nitrates?

Ideas?

From time to time they swim up to the surface and gasp or gulp. Its only the angelfish that appear to be affected, none of the other fish are doing this.

Their breathing rate appears to be otherwise normal when they're swimming around the tank. They look healthy. No stringy white poop, no behaviour abnormalities (apart from the gulping).

My ammonia and nitrite are 0. Nitrate is >50mg/L but <110mg/L. Is this possibly due to high nitrates?

Ideas?

I had 3 of mine doing this about a month ago and within days they were all dead.. I hope somebody can help you out.

Ideas?

I had 3 of mine doing this about a month ago and within days they were all dead.. I hope somebody can help you out.

Oh nooo D: I'm sorry about your fish.

I've been noticing them doing this for the past two months. They gulp for a few seconds then zip back down to swim around. Hopefully they'll be okay.

Edited by 425nm

Ideas?

Oh nooo D: I'm sorry about your fish.

I've been noticing them doing this for the past two months. They gulp for a few seconds then zip back down to swim around. Hopefully they'll be okay.

Oh good then! Our Angels must've had something completely different. Best of luck!

so you use a co2 tank etc? In just quick thinking, fish going to the top gulping air and going back down seems to me low o2 levels in the water column.

I do have a CO2 tank but shouldn't it be affecting the other fish in the tank? Its only the angels. If it was hypoxyia the angels should be breathing much harder when in the water colum shouldn't they?

Edited by 425nm

I think your tank might be over crowded. They are doing this because they are not getting enough oxygen from their water. While you can afford a larger tank with good filtration my advice is frequent 30% water changes. You will notice that after a water change their behaviour will go to normal for a while.

If after the water change, they still do the same, you might have a different problem :( perhaps too many plants and not enough light? so, the plants are consuming the oxygen.

how long have the angels been in the tank? how long as this activity been going on?

A fellow member asked about similar activity with stingrays a little while back...it was found they were just playing around, having fun sort of thing.

also...

do you shut off the co2 @ night or leave it running 24/7 ?

Edited by ckmullin

I do have a CO2 tank but shouldn't it be affecting the other fish in the tank? Its only the angels. If it was hypoxyia the angels should be breathing much harder when in the water colum shouldn't they?

Are the angels your biggest fish in the tank? Not all fish breath the same. I keep bichirs and a snake head. Both of these fish actually breath air and swim to the top to take a breath every few minutes. However my discus never do this, they have a different breathing system. If your other fish are smaller or less active they might require less oxygen, thus you don't notice a change in behaviour.

The CO2 should be going off at night, I have a solenoid.

The angels have been in the tank about four months now. As for how long its been going on. I've noticed it on and off for three months.

The biggest fish in there is a 4" severum and he doesn't gulp at all.

It might be overcrowding.

OR

Not enough light for the plants.

I think your tank might be over crowded. They are doing this because they are not getting enough oxygen from their water. While you can afford a larger tank with good filtration my advice is frequent 30% water changes. You will notice that after a water change their behaviour will go to normal for a while.

If after the water change, they still do the same, you might have a different problem :( perhaps too many plants and not enough light? so, the plants are consuming the oxygen.

I was under the impression that plants created oxygen in the tank.. No?

I was under the impression that plants created oxygen in the tank.. No?

50% right.

At day they make at night they consume.

Easier than typing out a big blurb: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_plants_use_oxygen_at_night