Gasping/gulping Angel Fish

425nm

Temp. is the greatest influence on disolved Oxygen. Exchange has value as well.

CO2 levels are completely independant of oxygen. They have no relationship. I run CO2 24/7.

The original observation is interesting.

Can a fish without a labyrinth orgin benefit ( get oxygen) from gulping air ?

They do have a relationship...although not what i think you think I wrote about.

You should not run co2 24/7 as the plants do not use co2 at night. On some level the fish are gassed by an increasing amount of unused co2 during the night most high before the lights come on...to once again have photosynthesis. Once the lights come on the co2 levels will slowly decrease...and the ph will again increase. Aside from air stones or water surface agitation...o2 levels will be at their lowest just before the lights come on...because all night the plants have been using avaliable o2. The fish have also been using avaliable o2.

Perhaps the angels do not like the ups and downs. For a test, I'd be interested if you stop co2 when the lights go off and see what happens.

Sorry for not chiming in earlier, but IME, this is normal angel behavior. I actually think they are sucking in the surface scum. I've seen angels do it in a heavily planted 120gal that was WAY under stocked, as well as in breeder tanks that only housed a pair.

I agree with Jason, my angelfish does this all the time and he's not sick and the water is perfect. He just floats under the surface gulping the surface of the water like he's eating but there is nothing there. The angelfish I have now and all the ones previously have also done this.

So if your fish doesn't look sick then its ok.

Vince, I've even seen it in WC angels... tho who's to say they ain't pickin ther kin out ther tu