markm233

hey guys so im currently breeding electric blue rams. right now i have a spawn going that started out at 34 fry. after 4 weeks i had my first fry die:(. its been 10 days and i've had 8 dye now >< . so i've been trying to figure out why this is happening with no luck. so heres what i've got going on maybe you guys can help me trouble shoot.

the amonia nitrite and nitrate are all at 0

temp 82f

ph 7.5

weekly 10% water changes

feeding 2-3 times a day a combination of baby brine shrimp, micro worms, and first bites

tank has a sponge filter ,with a low flow

10g tank contains a clay pot, and sand substrate

3 of my died fry had what i can only describe as blown out sphincters.

so i thought that i might have been over feeding causing issues with there digestion.

but since then decreasing there food has not stopped their deaths.

fry are not gasping for air near the surface.

(all 8 deaths have happened over night)

Edited by markm233

I have doubt about your nitrAtes, they are unlikely to be 0 with 10 % WC weekly , I would think that your measurement is wrong and your nitrates are very high. With that many fry in a 10 gallon I would be doing 50 % WC 2x a week. Are you vacuuming the substrate?

J.

I have to agree with geleen -- feeding all that food and only using a low flow sponge filter plus only 10 percent water change a week you should have some kind of nitrate/nitrite/ammonia reading.

i dont think theirs a hydra unless its amazing at hiding in a almost empty tank.

aswell no PLANTS have been added to this tank.

as for the comment about the filter and water changes.

its actually more effective for a sponge filter to run on a low flow, it allows the water to pass through more slowly

giving the beneficial bacteria more time to remove the ammonia and nitrates.

the negative effect of this is the decreased aeration. but thats clearly not an issue or the fry would be trying to get air near the surface.

i've tested the nitrate levels on almost a daily bases. its definitely zero.

im watching a fry right now who looks like he only has a few hours left. unlike my other fry he is very skinny. i mean concerning anorexic.

so this gets me starting to think about illness. stomach parasites maybe.

perhaps ill add a small dose of metroplex to the tank. that way if it is a stomach parasite it may solve the problem.

Unless the tank is heavily planted and/or you're filtering with purigen there's no way you'd have 0 nitrates. Your test is either expired or you're using it wrong. A filter does nothing for removing nitrates either, those are removed via plants or water changes, and 10% a week is not enough to remove 100% of nitrates in a tank with that many fry. I'd say you should head out and go get a new nitrate test, or double check that you are using yours correctly.

holy hell batman

i am retarded

the nitrate is through the f-ing roof.

i went to my buddies house and grabed his test kit and OMG.

thank you so much guys imma go ahead and do a 50% change right now.

That would probably be why. How old is your test kit? as mentioned above you'll probably want to be doing around 50% water changes twice a week. Was is the nitrate level?