Suspicious Bleeding Heart Platy Death

Chatty_Platy

About a month ago I purchased three bleeding heart platy's (2 female, 1 male) from a local store and within the last month they have been slowly dying off and I can't figure out as to why. But here is the story:

- bought them and noticed immediately after putting them in my tank that they had ich (however none of my other fish got it except my rubber lip pleco which died a few days after the bleeding hearts brought the bacteria to the tank)

- treated them for ich and thankfully it went away since they are such a rare breed of platy

- went away for the easter long weekend and used gel feeders

- came back from my weekend away and one of my female bleeding heart platy's was dead (not sure why)

- approximately one week after this my other female bleeding heart platy died and still not sure as to why that is

All my other fish seem to be doing just fine not showing any signs of illness and neither were my bleeding heart platy's besides the one ich incident. Is there some special care I need to provide to these species of platy or were they just a sickly batch of fish from this store? I noticed my red wag platy's are very crazy when it comes to feeing time so perhaps they ate everything before my bleeding hearts did but not sure. What do you think happened?

Most commonly asked questions so thought since I was up I'd ask, and hopefully be able to help

were they pregnant ? their gravid spot really big? where did you get them from? water parameters ? tank size? when did you start the tank? what else is in the tank?

I don't keep platys so cannot comment on specific needs of the species, however I would suggest a 'hospital tank' for new arrivals. A couple good weeks in that tank and you'll see exactly what they have or what they do not have! :)

I really had wished I a had done that a little while back as I ended up getting planaria in a similar situation as yourself! GRRRR lol (long since dead tho...WOOHOOO)

Most commonly asked questions so thought since I was up I'd ask, and hopefully be able to help

were they pregnant ? their gravid spot really big? where did you get them from? water parameters ? tank size? when did you start the tank? what else is in the tank?

They weren't pregnant because they were still very tiny so I am guessing they weren't of mature sexual age yet probably somewhere between 2-3 months old it seemed. There was no indication of a gravid spot either. I believe the place I got them from was called Aquarium Central. Unsure of water parameters but I am sure this isn't a factor because I got my water tested at Big Al's a few times to make sure it wasn't the water quality in my tank that was killing them. I have a 20 gallon tank and at the time I only had 6 reg wag platy's plus the three bleeding heart ones. I started the tank approximately 2-3 months ago.

Yeah it's a mystery to me as to why they died but it's just upsetting because I was hoping to breed some pure bleeding heart platty's because they are so hard to find and I love the colour pattern.