Frustrations In Setting Up

Maxwell

O.K. I'll come clean- I don't know what I am doing ..

First the background..

Several months ago I decided that i would like to have a planted aquarium accented with a few fish although i haven't decided on the livestock yet.

So starting with a 55 gallon tank and then in the following months equipped it with T5 lighting,3x54 Watt,fixture,expensive planted substrate,about 60# along with about 25# of clean pea gravel..

So far so good..a 300 W heater was added.

My plan was to get some aquadic plants growing for a month or so before adding any fish..

So down to a local aquarium supply store was next.

Came home with a whack of plants,thinking it would be best to plant everything at one time.

While happily planting i realized that I had no idea of what I was planting since there was no plant tags even suggesting the common names..now when you buy a seed packet you expect to see some information on the plant,growing hints etc

Probably my error in not insisting some plant tags but wonder if there are any standards of labelling in the industry?

Then,with a flick on the switch the growing was to begin, or at least I though so.

After a few days of 12 hour blazing light my plants began to lose color and wilt. I was starting to skim floating leaves from the top..

I experimented in setting up a DIY Co2 system but that didn't work for me and thought I better get a pressurized system if anything was going to work at all.

To that end I am looking at a system that should be in line with my budget.

Its the Milwaukee dual gauge with needle valve and selenoid from J&L Aquadics in Burnaby.

Not sure if i would also need a disfuser?

I will get the vessel locally and should everything together in a week.

So my impending questions now are-

I cut the lights back to a few hours a day in the hope of maintaining some life in the plant roots

so a restart may be possible.WillI introducing some emergency liquid form of CO2 be any help right now?

My choice of this CO2 system..is it adequate?

Are there any flies in the ointment that I haven't considered?

Bear in mind I'm 71,new to aquadics and huffing and puffing up this steep learning curve..

But also i enjoy life and a dry sense of humor.. think that comes out..

Anyway look forward to your comments & suggestions.

I could cry but then its nearly 4;20. -ham-

A common mistake made by people getting into plants is getting big bright lights before getting CO2. Bright lighting w/o a source of carbon and balanced nutrients is probably the #1 reason why people new to plants find it hard. My favorite method of growing plants is using the Estimative Index for fertilizing - you can read up on it on this site and others.

That all being said, when you say you got your plants at the local supply and don't know what they are, it could well be possible that you purchased non-aquatics. If you're going to buy plants from a store, I recommend stores that specialize in aquatics over general pet stores - your chances of getting true aquatics goes way up! Probably the best source for good plants on a budget is other hobbyists - check out the buy/sell, hit the local club meetings, etc.

It may also help to know what plants you have. If you can take some pictures then other members may be able to ID most or even all of them for you. That way you would know if they're true aqatics plants, if they are low-medium-high light, and other useful tips to give them the best growing conditions.

I agree with jvision that good local fish stores (Aquarium Central, Nature's Corner, ect) and other members are the best places to get plants. You can often get free clippings/baby plants from other members, which is how I've gotten most of my plants. Try going to The Community Tank -> The Planted Tank -> Swap/Give away section. It's a great place to find free plants.

I have a Milwaukee dual gauge with needle valve and selenoid and I love it (I also have a ph detector attached to it). I use the biggest diffuser I can find; or you can just have it bubble into your canister filter/pump if you don't mind the noise (I couldn't stand the noise as it was 4 feet from my bed).

I find the healthyist plants from hobbyists, or from speciality stores who know what their doing. Hobbyists often give cuttings away for free (or for a Tim Hortons coffee).

I have an empty room in my home with a big window facing the sun, I have a 75 gallon fish tank just in front of it. I have no filter, heater, lights, or co2 system, Just the power of the sun and air bubbles :)

Plants grow nicely in there, and I keep endler guppies. There is nothing like the power of the sun :)

I have an empty room in my home with a big window facing the sun, I have a 75 gallon fish tank just in front of it. I have no filter, heater, lights, or co2 system, Just the power of the sun and air bubbles :)

Plants grow nicely in there, and I keep endler guppies. There is nothing like the power of the sun :)

I would love to see pictures!