Growing Aquatic Plants Out Of Water

nanmer

I am starting a project and am interested in what aquatic plants can grow out of water. I will have the roots underwater and the top part of the plant exposed to the house environment. I have been told that quite a few species will work. I presently have a sword that is doing well. Plant leaves tend to wither once exposed to air so I have tented anubias and am slowly exposing them to less humidity. is there an easier way to acclimate them?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Why am I doing this ... why not!

Swords, Crypts, Anubias, Java fern, Pennywort, hygrophilia polysperma, and maybe a few more are all plants I've grown emmersed.

th_P1200117.jpg

I think all but the true aquatics would work. I sure there are exceptions.

True aquatics meaning: naja, vals, sag and so forth.

Rotala does well for me as does marsilea.

two cents = 2 tips

• A plant can will deplete the available CO2 around the stomata very quickly. This is why plants will stall or stop growing under saran wrap. Idealy you need to circulate the humid air.
  • Talk to your plants! A deep breathe exhaled into a one gallon container will raise up the CO2 concentaration about 2000ppm
    ( with these lungs anyhow )

Have fun & share photo's !

Excellent point about CO2 and saran wrap! I intend to eventually take off the saran wrap, I do remove it for a bit longer each day. I purchased a used hang on the wall betta bowl, at the auction, and would love to have a big sword in it. I am also using a few other interesting containers to try a few other plants. I just don't have enough room in my planted tank to allow some of the awesome swords room to grow to potential. Eventually I want to do a small indoor pond with some sort of waterfall.