Discus And Eggs That Dont Hatch

heatherw2

I have a mature pair of discus that are laying eggs evey 6 days and by the third day they eat them since they are not hatching.

My understanding is that our water PH is too high so would RO solve this problem?

Temp is 84, 0 nitrite 0 ammonia and 5 nitrate.

They seem so determined to breed that it would be nice to see them be parents.

This is their 10th batch or more of eggs.

I have searched this forum and missed a talk on breeding discus unfortunately.

I would try lowering your pH gradually. Softening the water probably wouldn't hurt either, and it will make lowering the pH easier. I had a pair that spawned 24 times before they raised a batch. Be patient, as watching the parents raise a brood is one of the highlights of the hobby.

Hi,

I am successfully raising discus frys right now and I believe the trick is to use R/O water. If you dont want to buy a R/O unit, you can buy the 5 gallon R/O from safeway then refill from them to make it cheaper. The eggs will not be fertilized properly if water is hard. I have the ph at 7 with no issues.

hb

Edited by hackerberry

Hey just browsing through kijiji Calgary it's a RO unit for sale. Not sure if your going that way or if it's still availiable. Just figured if you were it might be a good deal??? :)

Ad ID 374413863

Edited by Mokos

I have extra almond leafs in edmonton my discus will hatch in tap water with a few bunduls of almond leafs right now im on week three with a nice cross with about 20 or so not the bigest one i have had but its the first time with this pair

• 4 weeks later...