Brightly Colored Centerpiece Fish That Are Dwarf Shrimp Safe?

blink

Can you help me find a killie or something brightly colored and really showy that will work with my celestial pearl danios and red cherry shrimp?

My fiancee and I saw some nothobranchius rachovii and fell slightly in love, until we found out they are an annual species. They are a beautiful fish but it would be so disheartening to know they're only going to live a year or thereabouts (unless my research lied to me??)

Many of the fish I've looked at will eat either the danios or the shrimp, if not both and honestly, I've run out of things to google based on seeing them in the LFS and going "oooo".

We have a way understocked 27 gallon column to play with and we're looking for 2-4 colorful and hopefully lively/personable fish to bring my tank alive.

neons are cute but not really what I'd call really showy, I guess I'm old school where I'm so used to people having neons as their first fish.

Im looking for something around the 2-3" mark and less common than neons.

I guess Tiger barbs are more aggressive tho...so might not be good for the shrimp side of things.

Even just googling those keywords most 'bright' fish seem to be cichlids, guppy, betta or marine. sry could not help.

Edited by ckmullin

Just because a fish is an 'annual' doesn't mean it will only live a year in your tank. It usually means that the pool they live in dries up every year. As long as your tank doesn't dry up, the fish should do fine. Most Cardinal Tetras are 'annuals' but they can live long lives in aquariums.

I keep reading that those killies will look old at about a year and live to "maybe 15 months". I can't find a ton of good information and at $17/fish I'm not sure I want to try pioneering with them.

Can anyone point me at a decent killi resource, most of the ones I've looked at don't have any behavioral information just basic info or huge walls o text regarding breeding and nothing else lol.

Or are killies not typically good community fish?

Discus sure can be beautiful but I thought they might need more space than i can give. I'll look further into them though.

Edited by blink