Filter Disaster Help!

Ishkabod

I just took off my Eheim Pro 3 cannister filter to rinse (in tankwater) and add some filter floss. When i went to put it back on the tank i filled it up first with some tank water to get it started easier. as i was lifting and slightly tilting it to place it back under the tank i noticed allot of water coming out from the edges. I thought at the time the seal was not on properly or some such. I took it out again and went into the bathroom and removed the lid. The TOP was pouring water from every hole including from where the electrical cord goes into the unit. Now i'm scared to plug it in and fry it completely. ANYONE Please some advice. My 80 gallon currently has had NO filter for a half an hour now.

Thanks

L

get a airstone running in the tank for now,that will help out,if you want do small water change aswell(5%-15%)

i have no experience with your problem sorry dont know what to say.

my pro 3 2180/2080 is running good,no water spilling everywhere

I had sorta the same thing happen to me... There are many factors that will effect your fish I ran my 60 gal for 2 weeks with no filter at all, I was keeping German rams at the time and had no deaths during that time. It all depends on your bioload If your overstocked I would try and get some filtration on your tank as soon as you can. Or check your water and do a water change if anything gets to high... Nitrates etc. If your tank is planted that will help to some extent aswell just depends what you have in your tank. If it will be longer than a couple days to a week? You will have to somehow keep your bio in the filter alive. Maybe someone else can help there. Only sayin that because mine smelt like rotten eggs so it built up anaerobic gases over time( my bad lesson learned tho) again just telling you what I did:) take what you'd like from my speal:) someone here that knows more will help out.... :D

Jeff

Take the filter apart. Pull all the media etc out of it. Fill it with water and hook it up again, inside a Rubbermaid just in case it spews again. More than likely the gasket sat funny, and when you tipped it water went all over. Plug it in and give it a try.

I wouldn't worry about the water so much, unless you are standing in the puddle with the filter.

If the seal holds, place the media back in and away ya go.

Don't panic yet.

Thanks everyone. I have a bubble curtain in that tank going at all times to keep my white sand clean so no worries there. In terms of overstocking well it definately is because it is an african cichlid tank and the yellows won't stop spawning. Anyway long story short thank you Jayba i did plug it in and no worries. I guess it pays to buy the best in more than one way. It was the water pouring out from where the power cord goes into the unit that had me panicing.

Thanks again everyone now everyone is as happy as can be.

L

I had read your all good. But if anything has water in it like that, I've always put it on the house air vent and turn it on. It'd evaporate that water toot-sweet.

However with those power cords & filters...if you ever disassemble one you'll find that entire compartment covered over with epoxy resin to make it water tight. Last thing the company would want is a lawsuit over an electrocution death because water got into the electrical parts of their filter.