Crayfish Info?

jamesbarr

hey all,

just wondering what peoples experience with crayfish are? I have a 5 gallon tank that a buddy gave me. is that going to be big enough. Im thinking of an invert only tank. Aplle snail, cray, and some shrimp.

What do you think?

I think some crayfish may be okay in a 5g. Mini Mexican Crayfish should be good. I've seen them in a 10g and they were doing great...partially cause they had Endler fry to hunt down, but still. They're pretty small. Not sure how many small types of crayfish there are though. I don't really have much knowledge on them since I've never kept them, aside from catching some wild ones when I was 9.

As for keeping them with other inverts, I have no idea. The crayfish would likely be on the top of the food chain. I'd keep larger shrimp with them, like flowers and amanos. Apple snails should be fine. Again, I don't have first hand experience.

scavengers...vultures of the water. If your going to keep any other living creatures with it...make sure everything else is faster than the crayfish. Just start out with one and go from there.

Pisces in calgary had a few types from memory but I think they used the glorified term lobster. When I had seen they called them that, it made me laugh. Riverfront has one or two species as well.

Just as DragonNeko had said, I too caught them as a child...damn fun creatures! A fun time night catching then cooking them up for a midnight snack.

Edited by ckmullin

• 2 weeks later...

I have kept Crayfish for a while... 5 Gallon tank can definitely hold 1 cray fish. If you decide to keep 2, they will need lots of places to hide. I have kept RCS with Crayfish and it will make a good display tank. Shrimp is generally fast for Crayfish to catch. Also you will need a good filter as they make the water dirty very fast like Gold Fish.

You will need a good lid, crayfish tend to be scape artists. I used to have a couple, then they disappeared from their tank. A few days later I found them in the basement dead. Their tank had a lid, but I assume they left by the filter hole.

Also when they molt fish can rip them into little pieces and kill them with no problem.