Ground Level Ponds In Excess Of 1500Gl

A friend a few years back built a new house and transported his 4 koi in a 5 gl pail to be put back in the indoor pond. He forgot about them and left them in the unheated garage. When he did remember about them he found them completely frozen in a block of ice. Sad. His son wanted to bury them so he put the pail in the pantry to let it thaw. 1/2 day later he heard splashing, looked in the bucket and found all 4 alive. Crazy!

krazy! Rambo Koi...just can't kill'em.

• 11 months later...

I have had a pond in my back yard for about five years now and have kept gold fish alive in it for the last three years with just the pump filter running in the bottom and punching a hole in it ever few days. I'm really not sure of how many gallons it is, but it is around 24 inches deep

I would check your local building codes, and permit office to find out for sure, I have seen lots of ponds in the Edmonton and County of Strathcona that are over 2 feet deep. For keeping koi or goldfish in a pond over winter they recomend using a heater to keep a hole open in the ice to allow for gas exchange, and you only want watermovement in the shallow part of the pond not the deeper part where the fish will hang out over the winter where the water will be warmer, by constantly moving the water around in the whole pond you will cause the water to be colder then by not moving. Check out Pondguru's U-Tube videos on how to build a pond, he goes into detail on this, he builds these things for a living.

• 1 month later...