Albino Tiger Oscar Spasms

HoffeMan

My family has a single albino tiger oscar who has a tank to himself in our basement. Sometimes, when we are watching TV down there, he will suddenly have a burst of energy and swim around violently for a second or two, then goes back to what he was doing before. Sometimes he will create splashes in the same fashion or randomly attack plants. is this normal behaviour for an oscar? Also, he lays against the side of the tank sometimes and just chills out and looks dead but acts normal otherwise. My mother has also claimed she has seen him floating on the surface when she goes to turn his light on in the morning. Maybe he just sleeps like that, who knows...anyways, any information is much appreciated.

It's a 30 gallon tank I believe. And yes, I know it's too small for an oscar and that they require at least a 55 gallon but he is not yet fully grown (about the size of my hand) and we are hoping to upgrade in the near future.

Alright, thanks for the suggestions guys. I will be sure to get some marbles he can push around and get some mental stimulation from. Maybe some other objects too.

It's amazing how much 'fun' the larger cichlids can have with a couple marbles or even some fake plans they can carry around and redecorate with!

The other thing I do is buy some minnows and try to 'sneak' them into his tank without him seeing so he can chase them around and eat them. Usually it's rosy reds, I heard the feeder goldfish aren't that healthy for carnivorous fish. What other live fish can I feed besides the rosy reds?

+1 for the freeze dried or frozen foods

Or when you upgrade the tank, you could use that 30g to breed guppies for him to eat. Oh, and try a floating ball. Dolphins play with floating balls, so why not a fish? I bet it would find it amusing :)

A floating ball sounds like a good idea, I will try and incorporate that as well as some marbles plus add some more variety to his diet. Hopefully he won't find a floating ball too ominous on the surface of his tank. Also, I forgot to mention, the other thing he does is he opens his mouth quite wide and swims towards my face very aggressively when I have my face close to the glass. Anyone else had this experience of being charged by their cichlids?

I have lemon lime cichlids (just 2 they are able to be kept with livebearers and such) but my pair but mine do the same and I think it is kind of a hi how are you dealy qs they will follow me if I walk in front of the tank, but again mine arent that predatory so could be a whole nother ball game with your big guy