Albino fish

Vallisneria

Well, unfortunately I don't the scientific answer you would like but maybe this will get the ball rolling. My understanding from a post on this subject from another forum ( I don't remember where or when) was that albinism occurs in different degrees causing some to have pink eyes and others to have black eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

"Albinos" with black eyes are not true albinos. They are regular fish that do not produce much melanin in their bodies. To explain further...this is analogous to a red headed/fair skinned person who does not produce a lot of pigment (melanin) in their skin (and therefore, this individual will burn very easily in the sun). However, the eyes will not be pink. On the other hand, you can have a true pink eyed albino person who produces no melanin in the skin and so will also have skin that is pale and sun sensitive. :rolleyes:

Perhaps, this is a bit of a confusing analogy. Maybe the following pictures of my fish will help. They are amelogenic (non-melanin producing) ruby red peacocks. When I crossed the male with an albino ruby red female, I produced all black eyed ruby reds (albino gene is recessive). However, when the offsprings were mated....25% of this generation had red eyes (true albinos). Other than the color of the eyes, you cannot tell the fry apart from just the body color. Very simple genetics for all the people who can still remember high school genetics. :thumbs:

post-6-1124611192