Vals Transparent And Yellowing?

MrsFard

What type of lights are you using, and for how long are they on? Aside from lighting, it could be that they're lacking an essential nutrient. Not sure which though.

I'm not sure if I'm being very helpful...not really giving any solutions, sorry. My vals pretty much die in all my tanks but my 55g. They're taking up 1/4-1/3 of the 55g right now...not really sure what that tank has going for it aside from a good light.

Are you fertilizing at all? Any co2 or carbon? Lighting?

Does the yellowing start at the tip of the old growth, then move down the leaf or does the whole leaf just turn yellow? Is the new growth yellow too or just stunted?

A lack of iron can cause the plant to be pale and yellow but a nitrogen deficiency can also turn older leaves yellow(this usually starts at the edges and moves across the leaf).

I have the fluva flora set up. its 7.9 gallon tank, 13 watt florecent bulb w/ a reflector. I have seachem flourish and excel, another liquid nutrifin micro nutrients suppliment, and c02. I've been leaving the ligths on from 8ish am to about the same time in the evening give or take and only having the c02 barely on for an hour or so. I did have them in worse lighting until a few weeks ago (1 wpg), and I did try the miracle gro plant stakes before reading about them... :I

the new growth is green- all small but most of the older/longer stuff is dead now. the nitrate and nitrite tests were through the roof and I did a huge water change.

I had a 30 gallon planted with vals a couple years back- did dry ferts and seachem tabs unfaithfully- bought lights from a hydroponics store and they tookover the tank. I've never had this kind of troube before and to be honest I wanted just a very lush and pretty small underwater garden that I could keep with low maintenance :(

Sorry, that took so long to respond. Il will see if I can get a pic asap

I was only turning the co2 on for a bit out of cheapness really. I knew there wasnt much left... and now I have none :(

as for excel, I did maybe 1/8th of a teaspoon once or twice. I had read it can be dangerous for crypts so I didnt want to put too much. I have two types of moss and crypts and they are fine. the crypts did have a hole in it though but that was a while ago and they appear fine now

the new growth is a nice green but is transparent in places.

Edited by MrsFard

Excel can be hard on Vals. Crypts too, but less often. Try to keep the co2 level consistent and not on for a few weeks and then off of a couple days. Algae can creep in when you stop using it as the plants need to readjust.

You want to have the co2 running the whole photoperiod. I usually turn it on an hour before the lights and off and hour before the lights go off. It gives the co2 a chance to build up, and later dissapate.

You'll also want to trim off any dead or rotting leaves. They will only hold the plant back as they try to repair instead of regrow and the dead plant matter will hurt the water quality.

yeah, this big ugly diffuser is not normal- not that I know anything- but, i did some reading on it and apparently your supposed to let the bells fill up, turn it off, let it disipate in a few hours do it a gain a few times a day.

here is a link to pictures- im sorry about the quality- I really did try to get decent ones. the top 5- the ones with the most plants- are the most recent. http://s1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff492/yashaviolet/fish%20stuff/

• 2 weeks later...

Your substrate has not enough nutients maybe. Try to use ada substrate and mix it with some aquatic soil, you could get it from home depot and buy miracle gro and 1 stick cut them into 3 and buried it on your substrate. Really works.

img0231p.jpg

Edited by Reytube