IYO - how are salvinis?

johnsmith

I'm looking to stock my 40g (48"long) with a pair of something. Unfortunately we don't get many of the smaller CAs around here so I was wondering what Salvinis are like?

Do they hide all the time?

Do they eat plants?

Will they tolerate a BN?

I've heard they hide a lot and make for sort of a boring tank. I like my convicts b/c they're always out dancing around each other or foraging for food. I'd like something for this tank with a little more colour. JDs would be another option but the ones I see are usually a washed-out yellow colour and don't look very good. Anyway... back to Salvinis, what do you think?

Edited by johnsmith

I kept a salvini once with oscars and jd's and it had no choice but to hide as it was only a 77 gal tank and the oscars were continuously laying eggs. They are a nice fish and might do better if kept in a species tank or with smaller tankmates or other non-cichlids... eg. clown loaches.

I just googled nandopsis salvini and found a ton of info . They can be kept with plants although they are omnivorous. One site said they are intolerant of other species while another said they can be kept with other med sized cichlids,loricarids and characins. One site said to keep them in a20-30 gal while another recommended at least a 55 gal. Hope that adds to the confusion.

• 2 months later...

Mine were very good on the plants providing I placed them in either a lava rock planter or atleast put rocks around them, they dig pits when they spawn or I should say shortly after and uprooted a few. I have never seen them eat a plant but they did rip a leaf or two off if it was in the way. Most of them I found to be pretty good in nature but they do hide alot, less if the tank is planted well. Having a few small barbs in the tank or even danios often brings them out for a chase and maybe a small meal or two. As for fish that hide well, where the hell are my dovii?lol.

I have always found that salvinis are good for two things. Being very aggressive and the toughest fish pound for pound you can buy. Golds has the nicest I have seen in a while.

They hide most of the time, but then again so do Dovii.

They hide most of the time, but then again so do Dovii

true, true. and again yes they are very tough fish But rudy left out one very important thing salvini's are good for, hunting.

if you have the space to harvest your own feeders (or a pair of convicts) it is great to watch these fish take down others (if you dont have a queasy stomach). they are really apt hunters and the way they stalk their prey is very interesting