Corner Cabinet Complete!

Fisher

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

will you be cycling this tank at Thanksgiving?

Maybe ^_^

Here's the plan:

1. Clear out both corners,
  2. Shift the center cabinet 7/8" to the right,
  3. Put cabinet #1 in the left corner,
  4. Reassemble the 25g in the right corner on the old stand,
  5. Assemble (and start cycling) tank #1.

or, I suppose I could tie steps 4 & 5 together and just transplant the 25g into tank #1.

i looked at two diy conduit light stands. one was mounted to the wall behind the tank. it doesn't use counter space. it wouldn't sway if something bumps the tank stand. but the builder had her tank flat against the wall. the other project was built to straddle the tank stand like a horizontal bar in gymnastics. that puts the conduit in plain view of little eyes and easy grasp of little hands. i wondered how you would deal with the angle and the reach from the back corner. well done! so tell us how many pieces of conduit you wrecked in the process.

Edited by Chelsea

I'd do the latter plan. Just because I'd be too eager to see the whole thing come together :-D

It's a pile of work on a weekend when our family is coming to visit though ;)

sounds like a good excuse to drink a couple warsteiners with your son and work on it together, thats assuming that he shares a common interest in such things :D

Edited by jamesbarr

sounds like a good excuse to drink a couple warsteiners with your son and work on it together, thats assuming that he shares a common interest in such things :D

Grunt work and german beer is a good pair :beer: and so are we. I'll let him know the idea wasn't mine.

Initially, I put four ¼” magnets into the panel frame, attached washers to the inside of the panel and checked the fit. I wasn’t confident in how snug the magnets held the panel, so I bought magnet cups to direct the magnetic field forward and increase the draw.
The cups get pushed into a 3/8" hole. But I drilled each cup so I could run a screw through the bottom into the frame. The holes are countersunk so the magnet sits down in the cup like it’s supposed to.
Reaming ¼” holes with a 3/8” bit tore some wood and scuffed the finish. I touched up the frame with stain and a Q-tip… right over the carpet. Luckily, no drips.

I polyurathaned the panel pretty heavy, so I'm sanding out a couple run lines and drip drops.
Apart from picking out paint for the conduit, end caps, warsteiner, and some Hefe-Weißbier, I'm in a holding pattern.

so tell us how many pieces of conduit you wrecked in the process.

The first length of conduit I bought, I had cut in half at the store. Then I discovered 5' was 30" too short.
But I formed the fixture stand you see, and a mirror image for stand #2, in the first try. B)

Edited by Fisher

Grunt work and german beer is a good pair :beer: and so are we. I'll let him know the idea wasn't mine.

i suspect it will be a good thanksgiving event!

The first length of conduit I bought, I had cut in half at the store. Then I discovered 5' was 30" too short.

But I formed the fixture stand you see, and a mirror image for stand #2, in the first try.

30" is the height of your cabinet. were you originally thinking about a surface mount?

30" is the height of your cabinet. were you originally thinking about a surface mount?

Close. I was going to clamp the conduit to a 2x3 just under the top. I wasn't confident a single clamp that close to the top would withstand the leverage.

Figuring out paint options has been an education. Priming the light stand tomorrow.

End caps, end caps everywhere, but n'er a 1/2" to be found.

On the upside, Happy Thanksgiving!

If you're going to :beer: leave the driving to someone who hasn't.

leave for a six weeks and look what happens. your handy work is very distinct. but i do not understand how will cars will get to the top level.

Distinct "in figure and landscape"? I'm pleased to announce the cabinet is strong enough to hold four empty artesians. See Exhibit A below.

Apart from picking out paint for the conduit, end caps, warsteiner, and some Hefe-Weißbier, I'm in a holding pattern.

After a short discussion last week about matching the conduit color to the wall or to the cabinet, cabinet#1 is in place. The 25g is now on the other side. On to prepping tank #1.

No end caps, no Warsteiner, no Hefe either. So we had to make do yesterday with Grolsch and Hacker Pschorr (and a siphon hose).

The upshot?

The conduit is now painted which means my BA was better than mendoza,

I'm watching the end of the Saints/Chargers game with a cold Schneider's in my hand,

and I'm replaying the good memories I have of the Thanksgiving visit we had with our son and his family.

I'm a rich man.

Edited by Fisher