Silicone

Iceturf

Going back to my fear of scratching the glass, it is tempered glass.

You'd have to press REALLY hard to scratch the glass w a razor blade. To cut the silicon, you only need enough pressure on the blade to get through the silicon - you probably don't have to go all the way through to peel it off.

I agree with jvision on the scratching. If you've ever cut glass with one of them rolling cutter things (glass cutter) you know that you have to put significant pressure to get a good score line for the break. Cutting silicone with a razor is probably less pressure than you would use to cut a 4mm thick slice of cheddar cheese from a block you'd buy from the grocery store. And if you are scraping after peeling, just keep the razor edge flat against the glass and you can press really quite hard without any scratches at all.

If we look at Mohs scale of mineral hardness where higher is harder, glass comes in at 6-7, a non-hardened steel blade such as a razor comes in at 5. Silica Sand comes in at 7. So if we can trust those numbers, it explains why sand has scratched the snot out of your tank, but I can razor my cheapo 10 gallon all day long and get nary a scratch.

Go for it? or test in an inconspicuous spot?