Suggestions For Dither Fish For Shy Angels

SuperGuppyGirl

So babysitting my sisters 60G, which currently houses 5 angels, 3 kennedy tetras, 1 albino tiger barb, 3 black skirts, 5 asst corydoras and thinking it needs some dither fish as one angel seems to be a bully making the 3 new angels hide so hoping with some dithers the bully will leave the others alone more, its over filtered with a 60 and a 40G filters lots of decor and been rearranged 3 times to no avail, she wants 5 more tiger barbs added as well so need something tough and quick hopefully pretty as well

Hate to tell you but "angels" can be bullies. IMHO, the only way to stop the bullying is to remove him. You can add a bigger male angel but there will probably be some violence.....

try removing all of the angels, and rearrange the tank completely, then reintroduce all the angels together, at one go. Read about this method, but haven't tried it. might work!

try removing all of the angels, and rearrange the tank completely, then reintroduce all the angels together, at one go. Read about this method, but haven't tried it. might work!

Have heard of this too and heard that the fish are put back in when the lights are out too.

Just an update got rid of the aggressive pair bought 3 small guys to bring angels up to 6, added 6 lemon tetras, 6 gold pristella tetras, 3 albino corys, 3 peppered corys, 2 more bronze corys ( cory pop 13), 6 bloodfins, 6 more blackskirts since that was recommended by a few people (black skirts 9), south american catfish, a ABN and chocolate pleco and 5 tiger barbs, rearranged tank again and if this still doesn't work going to try rearranging and adding angels back in the dark Thanks lovely peoples

I gave my male angel a "timeout" for a couple of days in a breeding net. Must admit he looked a little sheepish and I let him out last night. So far, so good...

Normally you shouldn't need dithers for angels. An angel that hides is scared for a good reason usually. One breeding pair is plenty for a 60 gallon tank, anything more is going To give you the same result as last time.

Pick out your favorite male and female, and ditch everyone else. Angels are a cichlid and can have the attitude that goes along with them. If they are blue angels even more so. One thing that accompanies the blue gene is aggression. I have seen a male hold another in a corner and unloading a can of whoop @$$ on him. Also seen 2 males take runs across a 6 foot tank at each other.

Angel balancing acts are like any other cichlid. Recognize what's going on early, and deal with it quickly. :)

Edited by Jayba

• 5 weeks later...

Unfortunately the stress from the move, even after i removed the tigers proved too much for the angels, i wont be getting her anymore, until she either decides to rehome the barbs or get them their own species tank

I had the shyest discus and now they out and about; my recommendation is to pick up some freeze dried blackworms and stick it to the tank walls. Keep ur face close to the tank and don't make and sudden movements. Over time they'll get used to you and associate you as a food provider.

As for tankmates I agree with cullymoto regarding barbs. Usually if you notice nipping then I'd take them out.

Gluck!

Edited by tomuhs