Big Filters

rayboy

How would, theoretically, a sump based failure spill more than a cannister based failure, which could drain the tank down to the intake, which is generally close to the bottom of the tank?

A sump can spill the contents of the sump, plus the back flow from the display at the very most. A cannister can drain up to ~80% of the tank. What did you have in mind?

I have seen people use sand filters designed for pools on their monster tanks - that's my plan whenever I get around to building one (one more move...:rolleyes:). It can be set at almost the same level as your tank, so draining from a broken connection can be minimal (much like a sump).

The general rule for a sump is around 30% of your main system, so I can see why you'd be a bit shy for building a 300gal+ tank in addition to your main tank. Basically, what you're wanting is something that can have a very high volume of biological filtration, which can be obtained with a smaller space than a typical sump.

I have one system at work, that's about the size you're looking at - maybe around twice the size (which is still comparible when looking at some of the systems I work with!!) - and we only use 2 sand fitlers. I'm sure we could use only one if the shape of the pond wasn't split into 2 sections and could get decent flow thruought. Next time you're at WEM, check out the pond in China Town and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.