Anybody Keep Snakeheads Out There?

snakheadguy

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_9400.jpg

I just pick these guys up a week or so ago. My arowana hates them. Hopefully things will settle down over the next couple of weeks or they will have to go before they are totally shredded.

I have 1 male and 2 females.

IMG_9400.jpg

I just pick these guys up a week or so ago. My arowana hates them. Hopefully things will settle down over the next couple of weeks or they will have to go before they are totally shredded.

how big are they i might be able to take them off ur hands if needed let me know just pm me!

IMG_9400.jpg

how big are they i might be able to take them off ur hands if needed let me know just pm me!

I just paid $900 for them. They are about 12-14". The male is a bit larger than the females. I don't want to sell them as they are hard to get at this size, and juveniles are difficult to raise from what I've read. You can buy juvies in BC for about $11. If things get too bad I will put them in a recovery tank and once they are healed I'll give you dibs. I really just want my arowana to relax and leave them alone.

I never thought I would see a snakehead that was beautiful...yet RDfishguy, yours are gorgeous. Post some more pics please.

I am at work so pics will have to wait until I get home. They are difficult to photograph because they hide at the back of the tank due to harassment from the arowana. They are also pretty beat up right now so they aren't showing the stunning blue color they had when they first went into the tank. I will update them in a month or so.

• 5 weeks later...

Arowana killed one of them and the other 2 are recovering in the hospital tank. When, and if they recover, they will be for sale. XB has been on a rampage since I got rid of his girlfriend;the giant gourami.

Shame it had to get to the that point as you don't see those snakeheads everyday but it seems everyone has an asian aro.

The good news is the survivors are male and female. Personally the rarity of the fish doesn't mean much. I have had the arowana for 3 years so he is more of a pet than a fish. I came close to getting rid of him at one point, due to his aggressive behavior, but he is really irreplaceable.

Since all I've seen the snakeheads do is eat and hide from the aro I haven't formed an attachment. I like the blue color and the placid nature but I haven't been privileged to see their natural behavior.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just came back from Toronto and some of the chinese supermakets had live snakeheads for sale. nice looking ones too! Forgot to ask if I could purchase a live one or if they had to kill them before they sold it to customers. Understand that they were for comsumption.