Hi All (:

Miseria

Hey everyone, im new to the site so I just thought id say hello!

Im sort of new to the fish keeping world, currently I have a single male betta, but im hoping to start up a small community tank in the near future, then I guess i'll see where it goes from there (:

Thanks for the warm welcome, you all seem like a friendly bunch :)

Im not sure quite yet, I dont even have the tank yet lol - Im thinking of getting a 30 gallon and maybe going with some mollies and something else but im not sure on that yet. I was thinking guppies - Ive never had them personally, and I read they breed like crazy. But since im new to this I really dont want to start breeding fish - at least until I am more experianced ^^; so I dont think im going with them; Plus im not exactly sure if they are good tank mates for mollies - One site says they are and another says the aren't..

But any suggestions are welcome! (:

In my experience the mollies and guppies don't have issues being tank mates. Guppies can be a lot of fun and you literally have to do nothing to breed them. One male and one female and you'll have babies. Just make sure you have more females to males or all males. The males will constantly breed the female and having too many males will stress out the females. Another piece of advice is if you get guppies and they are going to breed, have something in your tank where the babies can hide, ornaments, plants, driftwood or something as the adults will try to eat them. Also talk to anyone at your local fish store and buy some loose forming foam (20ppm) and wrap it around the intake on your filter or it will suck babies up.

A 30 gal would be a nice size. I have a 10 right now and it's overloaded from all the breeding haha!

In Edmonton Aquarium Central has the best selection of different colored guppies I have ever seen. Give them a try if you can!

Good luck!

Thanks for the warm welcome, you all seem like a friendly bunch :)

Im not sure quite yet, I dont even have the tank yet lol - Im thinking of getting a 30 gallon and maybe going with some mollies and something else but im not sure on that yet. I was thinking guppies - Ive never had them personally, and I read they breed like crazy. But since im new to this I really dont want to start breeding fish - at least until I am more experianced ^^; so I dont think im going with them; Plus im not exactly sure if they are good tank mates for mollies - One site says they are and another says the aren't..

But any suggestions are welcome! (:

If you're into keeping a really clean and trim looking tank I would have to suggest to stay away from guppies. They're poop factories and you'll forever be syphoning it out (once a week maintenance isn't enough if you want a really clean looking tank). I would go with the mollies then maybe a single Dwarf Gourami as a showpiece fish, just my 2 cents.