wood rack waterproofing

chenimen

Hi all,

I'd like to hear about anyone's experiences with building a finished enclosed rack system and what was done to waterproof the interior.

I am planning on building a 3-shelf rack system out of 2x4 frame and finished with plywood (has to look pretty cause it will be in family room) :wub: The entire unit will be approx 6' x 1.5" x 6" (LxWxH) and will be enclosed from the sides and back for the most part with some access holes to fit tubes/outlets. Think of a really big and long 3-shelf bookcase :wacko:

My question is how should I waterproof the interior of the unit? All three shelves will be home to tanks and I anticipate that there will be a lot of humidity trapped in there. I would prefer to finish the interior with a stain to match the exterior if possible but I'm willing to sacrifice asthetics for longevity...

Suggestions and experiences appreciated :)

Cheers!

Well, I can offer a few suggestions if you like. If you want the interior finished the same as the exterior, just use the same stuff! You have a few options if you aren't spraying.

Varathane seems popular (comes in water-base too, dries quick) Urathane is another alternative. (used for hardwood flooring, along with poly-urathane)

Try to avoid "varnish" it's old-school, and doesn't hold up as well.

I would tackle it in a two-step process, stain first, then finish. Alcohol or oil based stains are easier to apply as a rule, (as opposed to a water-based stain)

Allow you stain to dry thouroughly, ans then add the finish (usually at least two coats, the lighter the better, sanding in-between)

It's like anything else, you get out of it what you are willing to put into it-time vs. satisfaction. It's well worth it in the end to spend the extra time, and not rush the finishing process. This is the last thing to do, and the first thing people see.

Lemme know if I can be of any other help.

(one other thing, a few fans in there can make a huge difference in the life-span of any finish if you are anticipating high humidity. This will also help with the tank temps.)

I'm by no means a woodworking expert, but when I was considering a DIY tank stand some time ago, a peer suggested finishing with Poly-acrylic.

Apparently, it is easy to apply and stands up really well in wet environments. Keep in mind, this is just what I have been told.

"Google" might be a handy tool to research some finishing methods and see which suits your fancy.

Good luck with your project! B)

WOW!!! Thanks so much you two for pointing me in the right direction!!! :D

I think a lil more research into the products and a trip to the local home depot will help me make my decision as to which approach to take. Since this will be my first project involving stains and finishes, my main concern at this point will be which is the easiest to apply (and the price point of course just in case I screw this up royally!!!) :lol:

Cheers!

I just added some MDF to an existing metal frame and was told by the Home Depot paint department to aplly a good primer sealer to the MDF, let it dry through and then paint what ever color.

I used an Oil Based primer sealer with high gloss latex paint (black) on the MDF and some tremclad in high gloss black to the metal frame.

Looks great...I have yet to water test it though as I still need a hand bring the tank in to the house...hopefully tonight I can get some water in the tank!!!!!

Hey Rahim101,

Thats pretty much what I had wanted to do in the first place (build outta MDF) but the guys at Home Depot advised not to b/c if the MDF gets any moisture it will just turn to moosh (even with a primer).

My first (and only) project was an MDF stand I made for my 33 Gal. I primed and painted it and its great I love it! But alas it's still just a stand and doesn't get exposed to much moisture. However, in an enclosed rack there would be lots more humidity trapped in there.

I love working with MDF and would prefer to do this project in it but I'm really really really scared that one day the rack will collapse as a result of all the moisture trapped inside.

Majestic_Aquariums, I love your MDF stands and was wondering what is your professional opinion on this approach? Do you think I could do outta MDF if I take the necessary precautions to seal the moisture away? Would it be very hard to do? Numerous ppl in 3 Home Depots have told me its not doable and 2x4 + Plywood is my only real option :(