Replacement Canister Filter Hoses

jamesbarr

yes sir!

I got frustrated with the plumbing issue and the lack of supplies available in town. So I called a guy who had a full set up and asked him to trade me for a couple hobs and a little cash to part with his canister filter. With the HOBs he can at least still call his set up a 'complete' and still charge his crazy kijiji price :P

I got myself a Rena XP2 filter. Super easy set up and Im running it now. Im going to part the FX5 together for a complete set up. Ill either sell it, or save it for the inevitable change to a larger set up. Thats if I dont just say 'screw it' and get a sump for my next size up.

I was hoping to get the FX5 running on my tank, since it would have done a super job.

On another note, media is ridiculous in price. If I would have purchased all the Rena recommended media for that filter, I would have ended up spending close to 80 bucks. I wound up buying 1 pack of 20 ppm and 1 pack of 30 ppm foams that I can rinse and reuse. Then I bought AC HOB media bags for my carbon and bio pieces to replace the Rena bio stars that cost a little more than $1.30 per star. I paid 14 and change for 3 bags of each in the AC brand. Then of course I bought the Big Als brand filter floss for 10 bucks.

All in all I spent 53 bucks on media to get this canister running. At least I can use Carbon that I can purchase here in Barrhead and have enough floss to last a really long time :)

• 6 months later...

yes sir!

I got frustrated with the plumbing issue and the lack of supplies available in town. So I called a guy who had a full set up and asked him to trade me for a couple hobs and a little cash to part with his canister filter. With the HOBs he can at least still call his set up a 'complete' and still charge his crazy kijiji price http://AlbertaAquatica.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/tongue2.gif

I got myself a Rena XP2 filter. Super easy set up and Im running it now. Im going to part the FX5 together for a complete set up. Ill either sell it, or save it for the inevitable change to a larger set up. Thats if I dont just say 'screw it' and get a sump for my next size up.

I was hoping to get the FX5 running on my tank, since it would have done a super job.

On another note, media is ridiculous in price. If I would have purchased all the Rena recommended media for that filter, I would have ended up spending close to 80 bucks. I wound up buying 1 pack of 20 ppm and 1 pack of 30 ppm foams that I can rinse and reuse. Then I bought AC HOB media bags for my carbon and bio pieces to replace the Rena bio stars that cost a little more than $1.30 per star. I paid 14 and change for 3 bags of each in the AC brand. Then of course I bought the Big Als brand filter floss for 10 bucks.

All in all I spent 53 bucks on media to get this canister running. At least I can use Carbon that I can purchase here in Barrhead and have enough floss to last a really long time http://AlbertaAquatica.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.png

You still use carbon

heres a trick to slow the flow down without throttling the output of the canister filter back but will decrease the flow back to the tank, take a ballvalve and 2 T fittings with barb fittings on both ends of the 2 T fitting glue the ball valve between the 2 fittings, install this setup in your input and output lines depending on how much you open the ball valve will dictate the amount of water heading back to the tank, this will also allow you to double the filtration of the water by sending some of it back into the canister, this will alow normal flow through the canister with out causing the pump to work any harder then normal operation. this trick can also be used on a sump set up as well.

Edited by DivineHammer

heres a trick to slow the flow down without throttling the output of the canister filter back but will decrease the flow back to the tank, take a ballvalve and 2 T fittings with barb fittings on both ends of the 2 T fitting glue the ball valve between the 2 fittings, install this setup in your input and output lines depending on how much you open the ball valve will dictate the amount of water heading back to the tank, this will also allow you to double the filtration of the water by sending some of it back into the canister, this will alow normal flow through the canister with out causing the pump to work any harder then normal operation. this trick can also be used on a sump set up as well.

see the post at the beginning of this topic, dated 23 September 2012 - 02:57 PM ^_^

Edited by Fisher