Uv Sterilizer

flipperocks

Depends on what your situation is. UV sterilizers are great for eliminating water bourne algae's and minimizing harmful bacteria in a tank. A couple years ago our koi tank became infested with a waterbourne algae that we could not get rid of despite doing a complete tank clean out (new gravel and everything). The algae have been stuck to the fish. We bought a 9W Submariner and within a week the water was crystal clear again. That being said the UV sterilizer is now broken. Not too sure what happened but last time I inspected it water had gotten through the seals and it no longer works. May have been my own fault last time I replaced the bulb or perhaps the seals just became worn and cracked and I didn't replace them soon enough to save the unit. If you are going to buy one, check it out online. From what I've seen after buying mine they are significantly cheaper online as are the bulbs. Try www.petsandponds.com or www.drsfostersmith.com

There is a huge amount of info on the net about uv sterilizers. You have to have one that is sized correctly and that is dependant on volume, flow rate of the pump, and the job you want it to do. By job you want it to do I mean sterilization or clarification. Just make sure you get one that is sized correctly and you will be pleased with the results. The brand I chose for my tank was Aqua it was not the cheapest choice but their website is great (aquaultraviolet.com) and I found a good deal on a new one on ebay.

I have a 23W pond unit that is in the return line of my 8 tank system. I use it to prevent disease (if there ever I any) from contaminating other tanks.

Uv sterilizers only kill when something is exposed to the uv light. The only things that are killed are the things that are pumped through the unit.

I'm shooting in the dark but I was wondering if it had an effect on sexual reproduction, some algae use spores to mix genes and a UV sterilizer might render these inert or damage them. After all, if your sterilizing all the water at roughtly 3 or 4 times an hour then it might seriously hinder algae and other plants.

• 1 month later...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/160878791809?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

purchased this for my 180 gallon on my fx5. Recommended flow for the UV is 500 GPH, which is roughly what the fx5 would be after media and hose length. Technically you can run a 13w on your tank but it takes days to clear up a tank due to the slower flow rate. This would work for algae. keep in mind 36w is needed on a 180 gallon to kill parasites! When you can see through 6 ft of water without a problem id recommend this guy!