Fish Transport: Fort Mac To Edmonton

My friends are moving back to Edmonton from Fort Mac this weekend. They have a 30g with some ghost catfish, Kribs, SAE and some schooling fish(rainbowfish or tetras, not sure). The plan is for me to look after them for a couple weeks until they take possession of their new house next month. I've never really had to transport fish for that long before. Is it best to bag them all up individually and put them in a cooler or can they just put them in buckets or tupperware and bring them that way. I'm thinking bagged individually but I figured i'd ask here since a bucket might be easier for non fish people to handle.

Any tips or tricks for a day long transport?

I usually just use 3g ice cream buckets with lids. Inside a vehicle works best (just put plastic suran wrap under the lid to prevent any leakage). I usually get my buckets from the stores that sell the hard icecream in those white buckets. I've transported over 50 white cloud minnows in one bucket with no problem. Just run an air pump in the bucket until the last possible minute and drop it back in when you arrive at your destination. I have made probably over 100 trips with fish in those buckets with no problems. Even the one time I transported 50 4" feeder goldfish meant for a pond in one bucket for 2 hours, I had no losses.

Throw a blanket over them, the darkness keeps them from stressing out unnecessarily.

Hope this helps

Just think about how long fish are in their bags at the auctions... a drive from Ft. Mac to E-town isn't as long as many of those fish are in the bags - especially for those who are taking their new fish home that live out of town. Bags should be fine

I figured the fish would be fine in bags since thats how they are normally shipped and at auctions. I was more wondering if buckets were ok too as my friends have buckets but don't have fish bags ;)

Bag buddies are a good idea but I doubt they will be able to find them in Fort Mac(they have one small crappy petstore) and its too late to order some online.

Thanks for the advice

They should build a "Jayba Fishmover200!" get a 5 gallon bucket, ( black ones are the best to keep fish calm) drill a single 3/8 hole dead center of the lid. Fill the bucket a little less than 1/2 way with tank water. Insert fish, and bag buddies, put the lid on and drop the probe of a thermometer through the hole in the lid.( the kind with the probe on the wire with the digital display)

Place it on the front floor of the car kinda close to the heat, and blow 80 degree air at it. Keep an eye on the temp and try to avoid swings in temperature. Ta Da. Easy.

Fast the fish for 3 days prior to the move and go see Henry at Natures Corner Store for bag buddies ( he has a different brand but the same thing)

HTH

They should build a "Jayba Fishmover200!" get a 5 gallon bucket, ( black ones are the best to keep fish calm) drill a single 3/8 hole dead center of the lid. Fill the bucket a little less than 1/2 way with tank water. Insert fish, and bag buddies, put the lid on and drop the probe of a thermometer through the hole in the lid.( the kind with the probe on the wire with the digital display)

Place it on the front floor of the car kinda close to the heat, and blow 80 degree air at it. Keep an eye on the temp and try to avoid swings in temperature. Ta Da. Easy.

Fast the fish for 3 days prior to the move and go see Henry at Natures Corner Store for bag buddies ( he has a different brand but the same thing)

HTH

I like your bucket thermometer idea. The problem with the bag buddies is I can get them here in Edmonton but they can't get them in Fort Mac in time for friday. I'm not doing the move, my friends are coming here. I had totally forgot about it until they called this afternoon to let me know i'm fish sitting starting Friday, otherwise I'd be a bit more prepared. At least I have a mostly empty tank to stick them in so I don't have to do too much tank shuffling.