Question About Switching Tanks

butters

So I have a 55 gallon tank that has been running smoothly for almost 3 years now. It has an Eheim 2213 canister filter in it.

I just bought a 150 gallon tank and plan on switching everything over and buying a new canister filter. Will I have to cycle this new tank before switching the fish over or can I run the new canister filter a long side the 2213 filter for a few weeks and then take the 2213 out?

Thanks!

your old filter, old gravel, old plants, old decorations etc will rapidly stock your new tank / filter with beneficial bacteria. I do not see any reason for you to not use both canister filters for your new tank, allowing you to clean 1 while the other runs ensuring you never wipe out your BB. (unless of coarse you need your old canister for your old tank...)

make sure the new tank gets a good cleaning, has no silicone smell etc, than fill it with old tank water, gravel, plants, +old filter and viola! the new tank is ready for fish.

You can run both filtres with no problem on the new tank, one thing you could do is to seed the new filtre with media from your old one which will rapidly colonise and give you no issues should you need your old filtre on the pre existing tanlk. i've done this many times and never lost fish in either tank just keep doing the usual water changes and you'll be fine IMO

Your 55 is set up to handle the bioload in it right now; if you move everything over to the 150 it will be set up to handle the exact same bioload. If you only want to run one filter, just place all of the media in the 2213 into the new filter.

Your 55 is set up to handle the bioload in it right now; if you move everything over to the 150 it will be set up to handle the exact same bioload. If you only want to run one filter, just place all of the media in the 2213 into the new filter.

+1 for simplicity

If you want to start new media in your new canister, seed it with squeezings from your 2213, and run both canisters on your 150 for a week or zwei.

If you want to increase the stock of your 150 right away, do a fishless cycle starting at 5ppm ammonia. Once your tank can handle that, you can stock it to the gills right away! :)