Zebra Danios

katmintblue

Greetings Everyone!! I am newly returned to the world of aquariums after several years hiatus. My question is......I have Zebra Danios......they recently kicked out some little fish that had adopted the cave in my 55 gallon tank. They used to be very social fish & now it has changed. Only one came out for about 2 days, then this morning all three came out for feeding. I only feed once a day & that is in the morning, about 6:30 am. After their breakfast.......they all disappeared back into the cave. Now tonight.....only 2 of the 3 are out in general population. When they do come out of the cave....it is to go straight back. They have never exhibited this kind of behavior before so I am wondering/hoping that maybe they have eggs in the cave? I have in the past dealt with only live bearers so this is something totally new to me. If anyone has any info that can be of help I would greatly appreciate it. Even if it means that they did not lay eggs & are just being strange for their first time. Thank you in advance for any help anyone may have.......Kat!

Since zebra danios are egg scatterers, their strange cave behavior can likely not be attributed to having spawned. I can't explain their strange change in behavior but I do know it is not consistant with their spawning bahavior. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Thank You Bandi for your reply. As I stated I used to only have live bearers & now don't know what to expect. I thought it would be nice if they maybe laid some eggs but, if not that's okay too. I just found their behaviour recently to be very strange for them. They have been in my tank for over a year & have never exhibited any desire to reside in the cave & until recently (when they kicked the other lil guys out of the cave.....they were supposedly cherry barbs, but, that is not true)(guess I need to pay closer attention too what the lil ones are.) I thought they somehow died or disappeared.....I have three cats that like to think they are mighty hunters but, to the best of my knowledge haven't poached a fish since the inception or us having a tank.......they just all the sudden showed up again like they were always there. I am still closely watching their behavior when I am at home to see what I can see. I guess I am in a BIG learning curve with these guys/gals. Thanks again for your response! Kat

It sounds like there is some bullying or other stress happening in the tank, as Bandi pointed out its not related to spawning. If all three are still schooling in the cave then its likely another incompatible fish, water quality, or possibly the tank environment like lights constantly on or the dog harassing the tank. a list of the habitants and water quality stats would be helpful in pin pointing any issues.

Skidbro.....there is no bullying in the tank, there have been no changes in the tank other than every couple week w/c. The behaovior started about a week ago & has never been this way before. I do not have bully type fish in my tank.....if that happens......I remove the offending fish,etc. I strive for only very friendly fish. As for the dog.....she is waaaaaay to busy chasing cats & has "NO" interest in the tank. My hubby is a butt when it comes to lights on.......he always turns them off. For some reason he thinks he is saving in our energy bill. LOL! To my knowledge nothing has changed in our tank to bring on anything else......it's been business as usual. As for the list of habitants,......recently posted on the welcome? sight (new peeps), We have an unknown catfish (never see the guy.....inherited long before & prefers it to be totally dark, would love to find someone who knows about this one!!), 6 Dwarf Rainbows (we got them to keep another big Rainbow at bay.....he became a BIG bully, He died a year ago), 2 YoYo Loaches (got them as my hubby overfed on my vacay & had a snail explosion), 4 - 3 Spot Paraguay Tetras, 2 Mickey Mouse Platys, 3 Blood? tetras (look like barbs but, they are tetras?), 3 Zebra Danios & what were supposed to be 4 Cherry Barbs. I think that is all other than the 2 Crown Bettas which are in their own bowls.

SuperGuppy.........I have only 3 of the Zebra Danios but, have had them for over a year so the recent change in behaviour is a mystery to me. I was a novice aquarium person & still am........OMG........I really was hoping that "MAYBE" we would wake up to babies. Recently had baby Micky Mouse Platys & didn't know until it was too late.......only found one.........then it got ate as (I think we paid too much attention)it was gone in a couple days.

Honestly, I would bring your water in and get it checked, ive had water issues happen that my test strips didnt catch, I dont have a master kit, and if your water is safe, I would try adding 3 more danios

Only thing I can think of is stress issues or water quality. Danios are a schooling fish are are recommended in schools of 6+, but it is possible for them to be happy in 3+ groups. You could try adding a few more to see if that helps cheer them up. Also, if you're changing the water every few weeks, try changing it every 1-2 weeks. I base water changes on how many fish and plants are in the tank, so my 55g can go 2-3 weeks while one of my 10g tanks needs to be done weekly. You might see a difference if you change how often you do WC's. Having the lights off shouldn't bother the fish at all, but if they're on for more than 12 hours a day, they can be stressed which would cause them to hide in dark places.

I hope that helps. You have a beautiful Husky! I'm a sucker for Husky's lol They're trouble makers with big egos, but they're so darn loveable! My malamute got away with everything cause of that cute face of his lol

I had danios spawn in caves, shells, etc, but they scatter and then ignore, or try to eat, the eggs. But I have never seen them stay in a cave for more than a minute or two before blasting around the tank. Those guys never stay still.

It does sound like they are being chased by something, although I have had danios mixed with most of those fish. Although I never had the catfish or Paraguay Tetras. If it was the catfish, they would be cruisng the top of the tank, out of easy reach.

You had them a year and they just started this. correct? I know I had some pond-bred minnows that had never been in a tank and always hid while their tank bred friends calmly cruised around the tank.

Try a 50% water change, and ensure you add enough de-chlorinator (one that also binds chloramine and heavy metals is recommended). See if there is any change.

If the cave is small and you have an hour or two to spare, try pulling the cave and sit down and watch to see who, or if anyone, is chasing. Maybe you just need to move the cave to a different location in the tank for a week or so.

Test your water for ammonia and nitrites. Especially for ammonia. Or bring a sample to a petsmart - I think they test for free. Zebra danios are ones of the most lively fishes; if they hide, they are probably stressed or are sick (which is a result of stress). Typically the reason is ammonia in the water.

Edited by Znaika

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to everyone that responded to my post. I have continued my bi-weekly water changes & everything else as always, except a change in lighting (back to not turning the lights on!). They are out being social again but, do go into the cave for short periods. Next chance when in Calgary.....I am going to pick up some more danios so there is a bigger school. Maybe they just didn't like the weather forecast or something LOL!

Are you anywhere near Three Hills, I have bunch I zebra Danios that I raised that I would give you for free. Just stop by!

I live in Irricana. A small drive all things considered. If you have Danios for me I would appreciate it. Weekends, depending on weather are usually my best available times. I drive a school bus by day so don't like to travel too much just in case! You're awesome!!!! Thank you so much!!!!