Seal on drilled holes

Kevin

I have a large cube tank (about 80 gallons) that I bought 3-4 months ago when petland sold off all of their bow valley tanks. I have been gathering pieces slowly for it and building a wooden case around the metal stand.

Finally tonight I started to set it up and was attaching my plumbing to the drilled out holes (located on the bottom of the tank). and in screwing it in I broke the silicon seal between the glass and the plastic plumbing that the tank came with. The plumbing is just a plastic drain that is seated on a rubber washer and is tightened from the bottom with a plastic ring/nut.

My question is - is it necessary to re-silicon this? If so, how much silicone to use and what type of silicone would you recommend to seal this? I have resilicioned a leaky tank before (I think with the aquaria brand) but it was not entirely succesful.

This is essential that i minimize the possiblitiy of leaks as I am doing a closed system using a cannister filter so there is no overflow. If this leaks, the whole tank will be on the floor.

Thank you for your help, I have been planning this tank for so long - this was not the problem that I expected to have.

Kevin

I don't have silicone on any of my bulkheads, if you get the washer in there right it shouldn't leak. If you are going to put the silicone on there again make sure you take as much off of there as you can with a razor then take the rest off with some acetone from a paint store.

You might want to rethink this setup. A closed system like this is just an accident waiting to happen, it might not be the bulkhead that is your biggest worry. Your canister could crack, your o-ring could fail, your hose could come off. To many points of failure. You don't have to build an overflow, just a vertical pipe in the bulkhead so if something does happen you only loose a few gallons or something.

Good luck.

Thank you for the responses.

What kind of Silicone do you recomend. My brother the plumber gave me some acrylic with silicone (they use it around tubs ect.). Will this work? What is best?

Also, how tight can I tighten the screw on the bottom of the gasket without worrying about the glass? Will the plastic "nut" break before I have to wory about the glass? Can I go "hand" tight? I believe this gasket is what bow valley uses on all of their tanks.

Kevin

Most silicone for bathrooms and kitchens has an anti fungal agent in them. Read the label carefully. I found Mastercraft window and door silicone at Canadian Tire and it states on the label, "Not for marine use below waterline, Ideal for use in aquariums (allow 2-5 days before filling aquarium). 35 year guarantee.

GE I window & door is the stuff to use. Don't use GE II because it may contain anti fungal agents and when it cures it releases some realy nasty stuff. Not the type of thing you want in the air in your home. Make sure the GE I is the window and door stuff, the one for bathrooms and kitchens contains fungacides.

One other note is to make sure the area is clean. No old silicon and no oils from your hands. Use rubing alcohol

good luck

Thank you for the advice all. I picked up the Rona Silicone yesterday before some of the quality feedback came in. The guy at Rona siad it was GE I, just in a different package.

Before I do this, does anyone out there other than midget waiter just use the seal on the bulk head? What sort of experience have you had? It seems to me that the silicone has the potential to for more problems than just a well seated seal.

I'd love to hear some opinions.

Kevin

If it was me (I haven't done tons of these mind you) I would just use the gasket. This should work as well as anything. Tighten the bulkhead good, but as mentioned, make sure the glass is good and clean. If you do use silicone as well, I would use just a bit on the gasket, and then tighten in up in place. Maybe a bit around the perimeter as well, but I don't really see it doing anything beneficial.