Tank Stand Build

jamesbarr

So, Fisher had inspired me to build a corner stand for my 60 gallon. I have built it now and have taken pictures along the way, Enjoy

imag0032xn.jpg

This is the base. I know, its not uber supportive looking, but it doesnt need to be. All this is intended to do it keep the bottom square and hold my fishy junk

imag0035xh.jpg

This is the top. Notice all the studs. This is designed the same way as you floor at home (only much closer together) It will rest on little 'walls' that I will build. The studs at the angled piece are closer to together mainly because I was having fun cutting them lol.

imag0038qm.jpg

My walls. I built these the very same way that a framer would. L studs and all.

imag0034zn.jpg

Dry fitting the walls to the 'decks'. All went according to plan, so I screwed the whole thing together. Happy me :)

imag0040tq.jpg

Once assembled, I sheeted the tops with 3/8 plywood. I got the rough stuff. The kind with the smooth finish on top is uber expensive.

imag0041cu.jpg

Once I had the sheeting glued and screwed, I went to work with the wood filler, filling all the screw holes on the top and the bigger defects.

Edited by jamesbarr

imag0039b.jpg

Then I stopped and waited to it to dry, with one of these ^

imag0044z.jpg

Once Dry, I sanded the spots smooth and painted the top and bottom decks with black oil based paint. Slightly more toxic aroma, but the water repellent qualities are favourable

imag0045pw.jpg

Once dry, I then lifted the mammoth on to my bottom deck. I forgot to mention in the previous post that I had intentionally left this off to paint it. I then screwed it together.

imag0046r.jpg

I then sheeted on side and trimmed the top and bottom of the door.

I intend to put on a latching door to keep idle childlike hands at bay. I also intend in the near future to build a matching unit for my sons 20 gallon to sit on. This would attach to the left side where the sheeting is glaringly lacking. On the right side I have a desk that is framed, I intend very soon to put a top on there. My corner stand was designed to match my desk in height and width. Longer down the road, Id like to put together an aquaponics station to go beside that.

imag0043hb.jpg

My tank as it stands. It will be different once I move it into the 60 gallon. Ill have to post pictures later on. Especially once the desk and adjacent stand are in place. Hope you liked it :D

Edited by jamesbarr

Nice work and it will not collapse!! In the second picture you may not need all the cross pieces since most of the weight from tanks comes around the edges (the trim sticks out further) and that would lighten it up somewhat. Then around the doorway you can use smaller woood so your opening is bigger for access to filters and pumps. Sometime at an aquaium club event a clinic could be done on building stands. As you have shown it is quite easy and cost effective. Plus you can stain it exactly the colour you want to suit the room. Good work!!

However careful we may be, there are set backs...... I planned for the tank to be 36x24x12. Not so, its 36x24x18.....

imag0047ao.jpg

The resulting over hang on the edges will bring forth a brand new set of walls to compensate. Im going to remove the side sheeting, build a wall that will go from the floor to the top of the stand and put my sheeting back on over the new wall. Ill have to make a 3.5in trim to accommodate the new uncovered wood. Im going to do the same thing on the opposite side as well. Pictures to follow...... arg

It looks like you could!! Nice job!

So what does the stock list look like for the 60?

Currently, I have 3 serpea tetras, a school of about 10 (?) danios, A bunch of stupid guppies, 3 albino cories, 2 albino hifin plecos. I plan to get other stuff now that I have more room. Havent decided, but Im leaning toward harlequin rasboras and angels.... not too sure

"This is designed the same way as you floor at home (only much closer together)"

This made me smile. I love how ever engineered and extra careful fish keepers are with DIY projects. Our fish friends are too important for failure.

Definitely, too much money and time invested to skimp on a couple boards lol

So away we go again. Got supplies to fix my under sized stand issue....

imag0048y.jpg

Took the sheeting off the side.

imag0050r.jpg

Framed up two matching walls with extra L studs to attach them to the side of the structure.

imag0051uz.jpg

Filled it with water! I took down the 36 gallon and filled this one up. Had a canister on the other that would work for this one, so I used that. I reused the sand from that tank and my sons 5 gallon and am in the process of replanting all my plants. When you go from 36 to 60 gallons, its like culture shock. So much room!

Thanks for watching. Stay tuned for the next episode, where I build a matching stand for my sons 20 gallon. :)

on the left there is a bunch of moneywort. It will grow tall eventually. On the right is jungle val, so that will be growing in pretty soon Im sure lol, and corkscrew vals. The smatterings of green around the anubius are pygmy swords. Behind the anubius, you cant see it, are a few crypts. On the left by the moneywort is a cluster of Java fern and runners that are sitting on top of a cave I made for my plecos.

Once I have my sons 20 Gallon set up to the left (where the hinged box is now sitting) I will be taking out all the guppies that are in there and putting them all in his tank. I plan of getting more danios, a few angels, and a small school of harlequin rasboras. I also plan on getting some driftwood to work in there soon for a nice hardscape feature along the right beside the red and brown rocks.

Edited by jamesbarr