Rebuilding My Tank..suggestions Please

Senroc

Finally settled into my new home and now it's time for the fish tank to do the same. I've got about a 30 gal tank with 2 Bala Sharks, 2 Rasborras, 2 Neons and 2 Danios. I'm looking for suggestions for rebuilding the tank. I'd also like to start doing it properly and get some decent lights and start adding in some live plants. It isn't something I've done before so I'm a bit in the dark with that aspect of the hobby. Any suggestions?

When you say rebuilding, do you mean rebuilding the stocklist, the layout, or with getting an entirely new setup? Just in general something you should be aware of is that those bala sharks will get WAY too big for that tank and may recommend a 6' tank for them.

When you say rebuilding, do you mean rebuilding the stocklist, the layout, or with getting an entirely new setup? Just in general something you should be aware of is that those bala sharks will get WAY too big for that tank and may recommend a 6' tank for them.

Mainly re-stocking and layout. The tank itself has been operational for over a year now.

Once the sharks start getting too big I'll probably put them up for sale/trade. Right now they're a good size for the tank.

Really, with the stocklist you've got you should be able to go any direction you want.

I honestly am not a plant person despite myself.

But for stocking suggestions. . .

Rasborras, neons and the danios like friends, lots and lots. Not sure what rasborras or danios you have (harlequin, galaxy, giant, zebra etc), but I'd get rid of whichever species gets largest or that you like least. Then I'd add ten more of the other two, so that you've got two schools of a dozen each.

Since this is just a temp home really for the balas, I won't address them.

Then I'd add bottom dwelling fish; a small peaceful species, like a few kuhli loaches (most other species of loach will outgrow a 30G quickly) or a few small corydoras (Species that stay under 2" preferabbly), or a small pleco (A species that stays small, rubber lip, bristlenose, clown, etc). If the tank is really established and has lots of algae, maybe even some of those darn fragile ottos.

Then, I'd add a "feature fish", optimally something that won't be bothered by fast, frisky danios or rasborras, but won't outgrow the tank. Maybe a dwarf gourami.

I ended up going with a combination of sword tails and sailfin mollies. I've always had an affinity for the swords and the sailfins were hard to pass up. I picked up a couple of marigold and koi swords, and sailfins. Once the tank settles I'll look at adding in some more of the traditional red and black/neon type swords. I upgraded the lights to accomodate the new plants (which I can't for the life of me remember the names right now). They're an experiment so we'll see how it goes, but at least the fish have some quality light now. The enventual plan is to move everything into a larger tank (4'x2'x2') I have waiting for me. I need to do a water test on it once the spring comes to make sure it's holding water properly. If it's good that will be the new home.