Pregnant Platy

DustinWozniak

Hey y'all,

So my platy has appeared to be pregnant for a few weeks now and just two nights ago I noticed the white ring around the anus. After a bit of reading I found out that usually means their soon to go into labour. She's been panting hard for the last day or so and behaving very territorial. But she still has not popped any fry out that I've seen or got any skinnier (white still there)

I'm worried because I had another female platy few months ago who got really fat and boxy looking pregnant and then white anus then next morning on the bottom of the tank dead. I really wanna try raising some fry so if there's anything I could do to make sure she pushes em out and doesn't die that would be great.

I don't have a breeding box or what not but I do have some plants in the tank and a little decoration that nobody ever goes inside.. A couple hiding places for some fry

Let me know how it works out.

I might be in the same boat, i have a couple females close to popping, no white ring yet...

only thing i might suggest is a bit of aquarium salt in the water is supposed to be good for live bearers.

I woke up this morning and she was swimming at the bottom of the tank completely vertically. head down tail fin up. really wierd. still has white ring. last night a few other platies looked to be sniffing out her birthing and almost seemed to attack her anus (i know it sounds wierd) so im thinking she had some of the fry already but theres still more to come. cause she has lost a little size but.nowhere near what she should have lost

If she's stressed, then she may hold onto the fry and not birth. The stress and holding in the fry can kill her. They do best when they have a safe place to hide and give birth. Breeding boxes I find do help with some, but can stress others. A divider in the tank would probably work well too, or if you could get some more hiding places in the tank for her. Clay pots and PVC piping work well as hiding places.

I hope she makes it, and you have some healthy fry wiggling around :)

After feeding depending on when you do it, I do mine in the morning, I have found my livebearers that were holding tooo long seemed to happen in smaller tanks, cause boom population explosion seem to happen in my 75's lol, try leaving the lights off, so they only have some natural light and a bit of salt, I had luck with this on my 35 gallon tanks

Well i havent been home yet but according to my roomate shes on the bottom of the tank dead :-( this is the second one to happen to im gonna try some aquascaping this weekend create some more hiding places and ill probably invest the few dollars for a breeding box. So now i need two more female orang/red mickey mouse platy. if anyone has extra thatd be great cause last time i was at big als they had no more and i really wamt to successfully have them birth as i would love to be able to give some fry to my three year old neice but it i cant get them to breed successfully i.might just scrap the platys completely from my tank if the moms keep dying :-(

Well currently I have 3 red, 2 blue, 2 sunburst (yellow) all mickey mouse platys plus i have and one spotted green as well.

I know the two sunburst are pregnant for sure, and likely the spotted green.

If you are not in a rush I can try to save some fry for you if you like.

• 3 weeks later...

That's too bad about your platy passing on. Sounds like she could of also been egg-bound, which is a common problem for some live-bearers. I always have another small tank on hand for births or quarantine purposes.

She could of been stressed like others have suggested too. A slight increase in water temp helps with them dropping young as well.

Don't give up! The whole breeding process is very rewarding when successful! :)

SailfinMolly_Young.jpg