10 Gallon Community Tank Crustacean

Moogled

Hi! I'm new to this forum, so I hope to get to know many of you guys :)

I have a 10 Gallon tank with:

1 male Betta

4 Neon Tetras

1 Swordtail

2 Kribensis

I'd like to add a crustacean/invertebrate to my tank and I've found that maybe a Cherry Shrimp would work. They are non-aggressive and hardy. The only problem is that I don't have very much experience with them as this is my first tank.

What are some suggestions for some crustaceans that would be suitable for a 10 gallon community tank? I like them to be more visible, unlike Ghost Shrimp, which are transparent in color and aren't really aesthetic.

I have kept a few different types of shrimp in various tanks and I find they have a tendency to go unseen at most times, even the Cherry shrimp I kept would only be seen a couple times a day. Now if you want an active/interresting invert, get a small Apple snail. the first one we had we named "Evil Kinevil" because he was quite the daredevil, would constantly do laps around the tank by catching some air bubbles under the shell and floating with the current until he found just the right spot, then he would push the air out and sink to his chosed spot (usually landed balancing on top of a fake plant), looked like a precision bombing run. He would also hog the Spirilum tablets from the Cories, the cories would push and roll him all around the tank trying to get the tablet, but he wouldn't give it up until he got all he wanted.

Welcome to the site :welcome:

I used to have a 15g community tank with rams and i added a bunch of amano shrimp without problems. They get larger(about 1") and my rams couldn't eat them and left them alone most of the time. They were also out and about constantly, never hid.

BUt once i added a 3 cherry shrimps to this same tank and i never once saw them again. I saw them swim out of the net and into the plants and they were gone. Best 17$ i'd ever spent :rolleyes:

So if you want shrimp i'd go with amano. THey are cheaper, easy to keep and have the added benefit of cleaning up some algae.

There are also other shrimps(bamboo, vampire etc.) but i've never kept them.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

My dealer currently doesn't have any Amano or Cherry shrimps, so I guess I'll have to do some searching and calling around to see what is available.

The Amano shrimp sounds like a really good choice, but I think I will go with Cherry Shrimps.

Do you know of any fish dealers that will keep these crustaceans? I am currently buying my livestock from Gold's Aquariums.