Help, My Cichlid Has Paralysis?

Kreature

Ok, need to pick your brains for info. Yesterday I introduced a male saulosi to a female, and they got along well, him in persute, displaying normally, etc. Today it's almost as if his tail end is paralysed, he's at the bottom of the tank, and when encouraged to move he will, but doesn't seem to move his tail. He is new, had him quarantined for about a week. He has not spots, discoloration, nothing. The female I've had for 18 months, and she seems fine. Any ideas? Could he have just injured himself in mating, ??? I'm at a loss. Water tests out fine, temp is 76. Thanks for any help!

No change. His tail seems to slightly twitch every now and then, definately involuntary, but other than that he just kind of drags it, stays at the back of the tank. Female is still ok, but I don't think she's holding (dang, I really wanted some fry)'cause she's still eating. Good sign is though that he's eating too, and she's showing no agression towards him. I think I'll up the temp, add some salt, and see how things go. Thanks for all your advice!

Edited by Kreature

He's moving around the tank more, but still not seeming to use his tail. I'm gonna have a hard time putting him down.

Putting him down or not is up to you. But some things to consider: If you place him in a cup, in a dark freezer with a couple drops of clove oil he simply goes to sleep. Right now he more than likely is in pain, and if you ad a another male fish he will eventually get beaten or stressed to death if he stays where he is.

Good luck with the decision